Options

Check Brake Connection Followed Shortly by Loss of Brakes.

Principalcook1Principalcook1 Member Posts: 4
edited July 2018 in Trailer & Towing
My new 2019 T@B 400 is having issues with keeping the brakes connected to my tow vehicles.  I have the same problem if I tow with my RAM 1500 or my new GMC Canyon.  Shortly after hooking up the electrical plug between truck and trailer I will get a warning.  I checked all the prongs in the plug and trailer and they seem to be making physical contact.  I assumthe problem is with the trailer since two different tow vehicles produce the same symptoms.  Occasionally brakes will work fine with no warnings.  Already had it in the shop but will be going back next week to have them take another kick at he can.  Anyone else with similar issues?  Does anyone have some possible solutions?

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    My two cents.

First, confirm your TV 7-pin is locking the T@B connector in place.  If the spring loaded TV 7-Pin cover/lid is damaged or missing the T@B connector could be getting loose.

Second, completely trace the Brake Signal wire from the T@B 7-Pin to the brakes, look for loose connection, damaged terminals.
      -  wire crimp at 7-Pin if not overmolded
      -  7-pin pigtail to T@B front junction box terminals
      -  brake wire connections at brakes

Good Luck.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I had a similar problem with my new 2018 400 (purchased 7/11/18).  On my first trip my brake controller was reading no trailer attached. I found a badly crimped wire had become disconnected in the connection box in the front of the trailer frame.  I replaced the connector and the brakes worked flawlessly on my trip.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    I will check that out. Thanks DenisP.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My crimping and electrical tape ball I'd end up with has improved considerable with a better tool (Dad got it, not sure where - knowing him HFreight)... AND the advent of heat shrink connector jackets. I knew I would be able to use that Creme Brûlée butane torch for something other than food! (ok.. I was using it to light fireworks.. it's never seen any food).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)