Options

Maiden voyage for the T@B, and what are the signs for a concussion?

RadRad Member Posts: 516

Val and I took Sm@lls on her first outing, down the coast to San Simeon for three days. 

The good, Sm@lls performed perfectly even going three days boon docking. 

The bad, me.  I was a comedy of errors trying to adjust to the tiny interior.  I must have hit my head on every part of the interior.  I’m not tall, 5’-11”, however, Sm@lls punished me continually, I think Sm@lls likes tiny people more.  The cabinets over the bed were particularly fun at night.

The best, well, I think my wife is still laughing……she does that when I do stupid things.  I was backing up the T@B and it was going great until I decided to quickly stick my head out the driver’s window to check the T@B, and (are you ready for this?) the window was not rolled down…OUCH!

Anyway, even with a day and a half of rain on the trip Sm@lls with the awning was fantastic.  It was so dry under the awning we could sit outside and even BBQ.

BBQ'n pork chops and potatoes in the rain 

rain outside and a yummy egg scramble for breakfast

We decided to stop by the local pool. The rest of the place is soooo understated.  Just a little place Julia designed for Randolph  on top of a hill overlooking the ocean. 165 room with 49 bathrooms, do ya think he liked company? and those columns, they are the real deal from Rome.

Comments

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I, too, am 5' 11", and will be ordering our T@B soon. Thanks for the warnings! We plan on attaching some kind of padding underneath the cabinets in the rear. We also intend to get silver and black. Which interior did you get? Hoping for many more pleasant trips for you! 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    tpurr02tpurr02 Member Posts: 49
    I was thinking about the cabinets under the bed and I think we are just going to sleep with our feet under the cabinets instead of our head in order to avoid night time head bangings!
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Wish I'd been there with you Conrad as San Simeon is a beautiful stop and many memories for me there as I first saw the Pacific from Cambria and stopped at Heart Castle for the pool segment of the tour.  Enjoyed seeing all the Zebras too and the elephant seals.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    kybob said:
    I, too, am 5' 11", and will be ordering our T@B soon. Thanks for the warnings! We plan on attaching some kind of padding underneath the cabinets in the rear. We also intend to get silver and black. Which interior did you get? Hoping for many more pleasant trips for you! 
    The good news, nothing inside is really sharp and the wood is very forgiving, no harm really done.  Interior color?  We bought off the lot for pretty darn cheap so we were not picky, I think it is a reddish brown........I think.  Shows how little I pay attention to things like that :o
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Wish I'd been there with you Conrad as San Simeon is a beautiful stop and many memories for me there as I first saw the Pacific from Cambria and stopped at Heart Castle for the pool segment of the tour.  Enjoyed seeing all the Zebras too and the elephant seals.  
    You are correct, it is a stunning part of the world and the castle is simply unbelievable.  

The only minor issue, the San Simeon State park is experiencing such a water shortage that all water is shut off in the park.  Only porta pottys....uh, no thank you.

The T@B tasted the three days easy regarding, water, battery life, propane and holding tanks.  No question we were ubber miserly with all those things but we never used the porty pottys and we even watched a movie two of the nights.

Here we are at the indoor pool

• Options
    tpurr02 said:
    I was thinking about the cabinets under the bed and I think we are just going to sleep with our feet under the cabinets instead of our head in order to avoid night time head bangings!
    I tried that, it did not work fo me because even at my modest height the bed is short so my feet hang off.  When I try sleeping with my feet under the cabinet my feet are up on the wood shelf in order for me not to be sleeping like my dog does on her bed, body on the bed and head hanging off on the floor.  
  • Options
    Patti said:
    Do you have a clamshell galley or a is the kitchen inside?

My husband is a tad [or should that be t@d?] taller than you, and if we get a T@B I hope to find a way to extend his side of the bed with either a small shelf that can be removed during the day, or something we can just put at the end of the bed with a cushion at night. You might see if you can rearrange things that way, if the length is a problem.
    We have the inside kitchen, and I'm glad we do considering the rain we encountered.  

As as for the bed, we used the twin bed arrangement because we do not like that big heavy table that gives no room to move around inside.  However, we are going to try the full bed set up using the slats idea (not done yet) and see if that gives me a bit more room using a slight diagonal.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The two head bangers that get me - forgetting to duck a little in the doorway - having the passenger-side window cracked open a few inches, bending down to get something close to the T@B and catching that sharp edge on the way up - and I don't have any hair to cover the scabs :-( 
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Try sleeping with your feet at the back of the T@B.  I'm 6' feet and got sick of hitting my head on the shelf.  With your head at the front, I think you'll find that your head thanks you...
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    And to prevent headaches or bumps, buy a Noodle like the kids use at the poll and cut off a chunk to put over the inside of the door.  I has saved me several times.
  • Options
    Sgtjohn said:
    And to prevent headaches or bumps, buy a Noodle like the kids use at the poll and cut off a chunk to put over the inside of the door.  I has saved me several times.
    Good idea; or, I could just wear a rubber helmet =)
  • Options
    Patti said:
    By the way, @Rad I love your dishes. At first I thought they were like my tinware, but now I'm thinking they're stoneware? Anyway, they are the kind of touch that I love!
    Thanks, my grown daughters gave us the dishes and silverware for Christmas specifically for the T@B.  The dishes are Melamine from Pier One.