Switching out hard wired for wireless brake controller?

ELKELK Member Posts: 213
Hi all.  Getting ready for a long trip and once again, the brake controller (P3) on the Volvo to the 2016 T@B S isn't working. When I step on the brakes...the numbers don't show and there is no communivcation between the TV and the trailer. This is the second time in very limited use that this has happened. Someone who I think is an RV dealer (on FB) told me they always use wireless on Volvos....and since the track record of the hard wired P3 is no good, I thought I'd switch them out. The price is steep...but I think of this as my vacation home!  Any thoughts? thank you!
2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I have used the Prodigy Tekonsha wireless controller and it was an outstanding set-up.  I have no experience with a Volvo but did find some information that might be of value to your cause.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,587
    While many folks speak highly of the wireless Trailer Brake Controllers (TBC).

I'm not sure just changing from wired to wireless will solve your on-going issue.
    Several volve-web-forum threads talk about the need for a Volvo Control Module.  It is not clear if that Module is a complete TBC or an interface between the Volvo computer and an aftermarket TBC.

The Service Folks at Apache maybe able to answer/clarify with their experience installing aftermarket TBC on many makes/models of TV.

Might also be useful to take your vehicle to a Volvo Dealer, ask them about the Volvo Control Module and have them examine your TV to see what you Have Installed and/or Should Have installed to correctly interface to an aftermarket TBC.

volve-web-forum threads on this topic imply Volvo vehicles are more difficult to interface trailer electric brakes to than other car brands.

Know you are pushed for time with an outing planned, hope you can get some reliable in-person advice/guidance.

Reference to Volvo Module that might be needed.

Good Luck.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    Thank you for that link. I have an XC70. VOlvo put the hitch on but would not do anything else. The RV dealer put the harness in.... took him a long time---both times---. I hope Apache will be helpful---and honest!---and that I can make the trip. The volvo itself preformed admirably both times we lost the connection though, I will say. It's a strong car.
    2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70.