Options

Quick question regarding conversion from single 12v battery to 2 6v

RadRad Member Posts: 516
After much consideration I have decided that converting to dual 6v batteries wired in series will best meet the amp hr needs I'm looking for.

My question before I order the two Trojan T-105 batteries is related to charging.  Am I correct in assuming that I will need to make no other changes in the charging system to allow two 6's to charge from the stock T@B system, as opposed to one 12v battery?

Comments

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    That is correct.  You will only need to connect a wire between the batteries to complete the series - which I suspect that you already know.  I would put the two into boxes to protect from the elements.  We have two AGM Golf cart batteries in a sealed box in the wheel well.  Works great.  We have 12 V fridge, my CPAP - 225 AH.  You will not regret your purchase.
    John.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Yes, you are correct as John said.  I also have two Trojan T-105 batteries along with 300 watts of solar.  Best upgrade by far!  I put the two T-105 in the LP cover by moving the propane to the front center and mounting the batteries behind it on either side at a bit of an angle.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    Lisa - Your arrangement is the first I've seen that fit two 6 volt batteries in the stock compartment without making some modification to the platform underneath.  If the two Trojans actually can fit, that should be good news to several T@Bbers. Is there any room left to store hoses and such?  Can you post photos?  
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'd be interested in photos too!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Lisa33 said:
    Yes, you are correct as John said.  I also have two Trojan T-105 batteries along with 300 watts of solar.  Best upgrade by far!  I put the two T-105 in the LP cover by moving the propane to the front center and mounting the batteries behind it on either side at a bit of an angle.  
    Really? Wow? I had already drawn up plans to remake the support base in the LP compartment inorder to move the LP tank further over to the side in order to mount the two batteries together on the other side.  I like your idea.  The propane connection attached to the T@B, did you have to move it to one side?
  • Options
    The retrofit did involve altering the platform.  My dad and I rebuilt it using angle iron and Azek.  Here is the only pic I have at the moment.  It was taken before we mounted the batteries, but it gives you some idea of the general arrangement.

• Options
    Never mind, I see the pic, thanks for posting it. 
  • Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    Lisa, how did you stabilize the propane tank?
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    We moved the original propane tank bracket and secured it in the new location.
  • Options
    Lisa, did you end up not using battery boxes?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Lisa, did you end up not using battery boxes?

I have decided not to use battery boxes on my upcoming conversion.  The reason being is that I plan on storing nothing else in the compartment, so much like under a car hood the battery needs no cover other than the top of the compartment. 
  • Options
    We use ours to store the sewer hose and fittings, but I think they'd be ok.

I was also concerned about road salt on the terminals/wires, but I think it'd be easy enough to close up the compartment enough to keep the spray out. 

But I think a plastic tray would be smart to protect the framing from any battery acid seepage. And AGM batteries would negate that, too.

At any rate Lisa, I like what you've come up with.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya