Options

Tongue Mounted Spare: What a difference a hole makes!

Recently we saw a twin T@B to ours at a local RV lot (getting repairs?  we were there for the dump station in the back).  I noticed the bottom of their tongue-mounted spare’s cover was as beat up as ours from bottoming out.  Since we were soon going to a bumpy gravel road campground (Williams Creek, north of Pagosa Springs, CO...highly recommended, but 23 miles of washboard to get there), I took off our spare cover and noticed it’d been mounted with the upper bolt holes instead of lower two of the five (see pic).  I quickly re-mounted the spare and gained several inches of clearance...and we didn’t bottom out once.  I got new tires (GY Endurance...love ‘em) last March and never paid attention to the mounting because our cover hid them.

The washboard ride did however knock our Jensen TV screen off its mounting hardware...but that’s another $200 story :-( 

The “before” picture: 

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @DurangoTaB, I found about about gaining clearance on the spare on the tongue on my Silver Shadow.  It was like a ray of light hit me knowing I had the few more inches of clearance!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”