Options

Check the tub mounting screws before your next trip!

RadRad Member Posts: 516
edited September 2017 in Trailer & Towing
In the process of designing a support system for the dual 6v batteries I will be placing in the current battery propane compartment on the new T@B I made a rather disturbing discovery.  Only 4 rather small bolts with nyloc nuts holds the entire compartment, including the propane tank and battery to the frame and on mine 1 bolt was completely gone and two were unsecured almost to the point of falling out.  Only one of the four was secured and tight.

When I got the T@B home the first time I did go through and tighten all the fasteners I could see; however, like a dummy I did not crawl under the rig.

One gone and two like this.

One still holding

I'm no automotive expert but I grew up in my dad's machine shop and I have been wrenching on cars and motorcycles for decades and I can't remember ever seeing a frame member, or something of size secured to a frame member with with nyloc nuts.  

No question prior to our next trip in two weeks I will have replaced all four fasteners with good quality bolts, lock washers and nuts, and will even use medium strength thread lock.

Current fastener

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Wow.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Ditto!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    bigmattbigmatt Member Posts: 31
    RAD, The nuts in your photos are Esna nuts,a type of lock nut,the nylon insert in the nut is suppose to keep the nut from backing off,they are usually for 1 time use.I am really surprised they came loose.They normally work very well. Matt
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm surprised too. 

RAD, is this Tab is factory new, or has it seen some miles?

Good advice to look over everything every so often. 

Also be sure the hitch assembly fasteners are all secure on the Towing Vehicle.

Yikes.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    I'm surprised too. 

RAD, is this Tab is factory new, or has it seen some miles?

Good advice to look over everything every so often. 

Also be sure the hitch assembly fasteners are all secure on the Towing Vehicle.

Yikes.
    Brann spank'n new
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Wow...thanks for the heads up... Now I have to go get under my T@B...and my TV.
  • Options
    bigmattbigmatt Member Posts: 31
    I am pretty sure the propane tank mount and front battery compartment are installed by the dealer,results will vary. Thanks for the heads up,I will be taking a look at mine once this snow clears. Matt
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited March 2015
    bigmatt - Think you're right, dealer install. Propane cover ships inside the T@B as I recall.
  • Options
    bigmatt said:
    I am pretty sure the propane tank mount and front battery compartment are installed by the dealer,results will vary. Thanks for the heads up,I will be taking a look at mine once this snow clears. Matt
    That sure could explain it.  Looking at the remaining fastener it really appears to be undersized in regards to diameter and way  to long for the application.  Looks like someone just grabbed whatever  fasteners were handy.
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    The propane tank, cover, battery and battery box are all dealer installed. All but the battery are shipped inside the trailer. The dealer supplies the battery locally and fills the propane tank. That being said, there are discussion threads on the forum that do note that the mounting hardware for the cover are a bit small and has resulted in some units developing cracks. It has been suggested to upgrade the hardware and add some large flat washers to help secure the cover better. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    If it were me I would have a discussion with the dealer so that they are aware of what happened and so that it doesn't happen again.  This sounds like an employee issue or that someone was distracted, didn't finish up the job properly (obviously) and this one slipped through the crack.  This wasn't a factory issue, but sounds like something that should be included in the dealership's final inspection checklist, especially since they installed the cowling and battery/propane mount after the unit was delivered.  I will send this on to the factory and if you will send me your dealer's location via a personal message I will have the factory discuss it with the dealer to safe guard others in the future.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Something else you may want to check. I removed my spare tire from down under and discovered that the nuts holding the tire were not 3/4 inch like my lug nuts.  Don't know what they were but not a size I would take a a socket when travelling.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited March 2015
    Something else you may want to check. I removed my spare tire from down under and discovered that the nuts holding the tire were not 3/4 inch like my lug nuts.  Don't know what they were but not a size I would take a a socket when travelling.

Mine was pretty loose, once, too. I am assuming 5,000+ mikes and some rocky roads were to blame.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Sandra said:
    I'm not sure how the Little Guy T@Bs have their propane tank held in place - but the Dutchmen T@Bs have two hooked metal "wires" with wing nuts on the bottom of them. I periodically need to check to see that the wing nuts are still snug - or even attached. They just vibrate loose. Same with all the screws inside the T@B - just check to see that they are still secure.

So, in preparation for camping season, I took Sandra's advice and began the process of checking for loose screws on the T@B today.  I counted 112 screws (I'm just that kinda guy) on the outside of the trailer that hold on trim and fixtures.  Most of them were somewhat loose after one year of traveling.  I have not started an inspection of the inside or any bolts, etc. underneath, but I suspect I will find the same there.

WARNING:  Remember that these trim screws are anchored in aluminum and/or fiberglas.  They should be snugged, but NOT tightened.  Otherwise, you are likely to strip the threads.  This is probably the reason they work loose.  I found two that had already been stripped on the piece that holds the door open.  Little Guy was wise enough to caulk most of these trim pieces, which helps hold them in place.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    95... just looked it up. The manual tells you to go through a 3 step process to get there.

PS- Don't believe me and check it out but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    I checked the four nuts and bolts holding the battery propane and 2 nuts were missing and 2 hanging by a thread. Tightened the 2 and picked up spares tonight. Thanks for the heads up. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.