Options

Dresser added

I've modified a small dresser to fit in place of a cushion. More easy access storage!

Comments

• Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Nice...I've considered something similar that I could use... Did you secure to bench...?
    i was thinking about something that could easily be moved from my TV to the T@B...right now I am soloing so that space is jus sittin there...lol.
  • Options
    NinaNina Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! I didn't secure it to the bench. I'll give it a try first but surely I'd want to keep the extra storage. I travel like a girl! Haha.... Too much stuff!
  • Options
    candykookencandykooken Member Posts: 2
    I need to do this because I travel like a girl...ha ha

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Have you secured the drawers?  I imagine there is a good chance of things going flying out if you don't.  I like the idea, would love to have drawers of some type.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Nina,

You might have to make the bench stronger before you depend on it to hold that much weight, bouncing down the road and all.

I realized how minimal the framing construction is on the benches, when one of mine started coming apart - it needed beefier screws.

I'd say the framing is 'cabinet' type framing, ie: good enough to hold the cabinet together.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

I am currently working on a similar project.  I plan to turn the bench over to keep from ruining the finish then Velcro the bottom of the chest to the bench with industrial strength Velcro.  I will check the underneath structure to see if it needs strengthening before placing the chest on it.

I have not yet figured out how to keep the drawers from jarring open.  There are so many different configurations on these chests that one solution won't work for all.  Until I come up with a more aesthetic solution, I may use bungees.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

Finished adding the chest today.  Since the drawers were inset, I was able to use curtain tension rods to help keep the drawers closed while traveling.  I painted them and the pulls to match.  As I said above, I turned the bench over to keep from harming the finish then Velcroed the bottom of the chest to the bench.  I also glued some felt strips to the framing for the bench top to rest on to keep from scratching it.  I cut and finished a piece to go between the cabinet frame and the chest in fromt to help keep it from tilting forward.  I'm pretty sure everything will be fine during normal travels.  We'll see how it goes the first time I jump a railroad track that crosses the highway.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Thanks, Patti.  Since I travel alone (except for my four-legged buddy), I have left the smaller bed made up from the very beginning.  The bench was useless except for piling things on.  I usually had a couple of storage bins with clothes, towels, etc. that I was constantly shifting from the truck to the trailer.  That should no longer be necessary.  I also have a folding table that fits perfectly behind the chest.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I had these for tent camping and church camp.  I used them in the T@B, same location on the bench seat, once this season.  I plan to take them on longer trips.  They're easily moved since they're plastic.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Nice!

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map