Newb Question - Where to camp other than campgrounds and Walmarts

Hey all!  So my partner and I just got ourselves a new 2018 T@B 320 and I had a question.  We are planning a mining and sky watching trip through Oregon, Idaho, and Montana for the middle of September and since it is late in the game, campgrounds are booked up.  I think we will be getting a generator so we wouldn't necessarily need electrical hookups (although it would be nice), but I am curious at would would be some options as to where to set up camp.  I have searched through threads, but haven't really found much about camping off the beaten patch so I apologize if this has been previously discussed and I have just missed it.  I appreciate any info or suggestions!!

Comments

  • pthomas745
    pthomas745 Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,668
    Look up the idea of "dispersed camping" in National Forest Land, etc.....I like this site to kick off my searches.


    And their description of what the site is looking for:



    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • dragonsdofly
    dragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,928
    @TildaPipsAdventures, I use the allstays app. Lists all available campsites including low cost or free municipal sites, with and without amenities ( power, water, and/or dump). Welcome to the forum. We'll wave if we pass you on the road sometime.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • @pthomas745
    @dragonsdofly
    Thank you sooo much!!! Both of these options seem to be EXTREMELY helpful!  I really appreciate it!
  • PamandJohnUpNorth2
    PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 147
    You might want to take a look at "hipcamp" as well, We used it recently for a last minute stay when all nearby campgrounds were full. Ended up staying in a nice vineyard nearby($15/night). Might be worth a look.

    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2025 Ridgeline Trailsport

    gptzotuyxgx2.jpg
  • jgram2
    jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Cannot figure out how to copy the url, but the Ultimate CG shows publicly owned campgrounds in all 50 states. Many are great for boondocking because they have no electrical or water hookups. Maybe this will work: https://www.google.com/search?q=ultimate+cg&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari. Huh, sure looks like a url!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner