Generator Experience on the 400?

With a baby in tow who needs to nap during the day, a generator is a must when at non-hookup sites. We also have an old dog that can't hike with us any more so we leave her in the trailer to relax and guard.

Based on my calculations, a 2,900 running 3,100 peak should be more than enough. I bought the duel fuel Champion from Costco as I like the ability to run on propane and I have to admit that the push button start is a nice convenience. https://www.costco.com/.product.1058626.html

I found it to be reasonably quiet. However, the first day using it, I I two surge-outs and had to restart. I realized that the water heater was set to electric so I changed it to gas. The second and third day I had no surge-outs. so, perhaps it was just breaking in or maybe the Alde on propane made a difference. Either way, after that first day, I we nervous leaving the dog for extended periods as it was hot and there was no shade so I checked back often.

Has anyone had similiar issues with new generators or am I undersized?

Comments

• maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
    On another note but related to cooling, we found that having a DC fan during quiet hours is a lifesaver as the three people in bed (wife, baby, and I) it can get a little stuffy if there isn't a good cross-breeze.

Found this on Amazon and although a little pricey, at least I knew what we were getting with the Fantastic fan name. It worked great, was quiet and grate was small enough to keep little fingers out.

• DeltaPopDeltaPop Member Posts: 28

I camped 5 nights  in my Tab 400  at Oshkosh WI for the EAA convention a few weeks ago, the daytime temps were in the mid to high 80’s with high humidity.

One tank of gas (about 1 gal) on the Honda EU2000i would run the AC from 10PM till 5:30AM in the Eco mode, inside temps were  68 - 69 degrees in the trailer all night.
    Was very nice to have the AC for sleeping.

I had several interested people stop by and could not believe the Honda would power the complete trailer and AC all night.
    (I added a Micro-Air Easy Start 364 to the Cool Cat to make this possible.) https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267

The generator is mounted on a lockable base plate just in front of the LP tank cover,  base plate linked here: http://lowprolockdown.com/shop/hondaeu2000lockplate-redblack/

Very happy with the Honda / Tab 400 combination.

PS The trailer next to me was powered by a Blue 4400 watt generator, several times during the night I thought it was coming apart and I would be hit by flying parts. Despite the excessive noise and knocking it was still running in the morning.

Don & Mary
    2018 Tab 400
    2019 Tundra CM
    Wisconsin
  • maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
    DeltaPop said:

I camped 5 nights  in my Tab 400  at Oshkosh WI for the EAA convention a few weeks ago, the daytime temps were in the mid to high 80’s with high humidity.

One tank of gas (about 1 gal) on the Honda EU2000i would run the AC from 10PM till 5:30AM in the Eco mode, inside temps were  68 - 69 degrees in the trailer all night.
    Was very nice to have the AC for sleeping.

I had several interested people stop by and could not believe the Honda would power the complete trailer and AC all night.
    (I added a Micro-Air Easy Start 364 to the Cool Cat to make this possible.) https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267

The generator is mounted on a lockable base plate just in front of the LP tank cover,  base plate linked here: http://lowprolockdown.com/shop/hondaeu2000lockplate-redblack/

Very happy with the Honda / Tab 400 combination.

PS The trailer next to me was powered by a Blue 4400 watt generator, several times during the night I thought it was coming apart and I would be hit by flying parts. Despite the excessive noise and knocking it was still running in the morning.

Thanks Delta, that is useful. So it seems the easy start is the answer. The Honda is smaller and lighter than my 90lb generator. Do you tow with it on the tongue and if so, do you cover/protect it somehow from the elements?

I do like the Hondas even though they are pricey but they are quiet and easily portable--especially if you can keep it mounted. The Easy Start is obviously the solution if I go that route. Which sub-model did you go with?
  • DeltaPopDeltaPop Member Posts: 28
    So far, I have not towed with the generator on the tongue but I believe it is possible. (The generator adds about 50 - 60 lbs to the tongue weight.) 

I installed the Micro-Air 115V-only RV A/C (-X20-IP) 

After researching the WFCO WF-8955PEC Power Center, I found they offer an automatic generator transfer switch that attaches to the rear of the power center. One of my project goals was not having to run an extension cord from the generator to the outside shore power outlet so I went ahead purchased the T-30 auto transfer switch. 
    I routed a flexible 12-3 wire from the generator to the T-30 thru an existing tube for the trailer signal lights, had to remove several screws on the plastic trailer pan to get my hand in to push the wire thru an existing hole in the trailer frame and on to the hitch area.
    A few wires attach from the T-30 to the power center and the generator and all works great. 

For anyone interested here are the links: 
    WFCO WF-8955PEC Power Center
    http://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8955-55-amp/

T-30 Automatic Transfer Switch

Don & Mary
    2018 Tab 400
    2019 Tundra CM
    Wisconsin
  • gooddogs74gooddogs74 Member Posts: 76
    I have 2 Honda 2200s.   My understanding was that you needed something like 2800 to run the ac.  I've only camped once without hookups but everything worked fine,  they are light enough I can lift them myself.  I haven't worked out a way to transport them on a platform.   I just put them in the trailer and got them out when I got to my destination.   I would like to look into something to transport, but I'm not sure if it would be too much weight on the tongue, about 90 to 100 lbs. 
    2018 T@b 400
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    @DeltaPop
    I found this tote bin at Home Depot. Flipped up side down it fits nicely over my Honda generator to protect it from prying eyes weather. 

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • dvgibsondvgibson Member Posts: 33
    Just camped for the first time this past week with a new Honda eu2200 with our T@B 400. Did not use it for AC this time but have tested that and it starts the CoolCat just fine. We were just using it for make up in a rather shaded camp site where solar was not enough. I am happy so far. I put it in the bed of the truck and move it off away from camp so it is even less quieter. 

T@B 400 2018 Tacoma TRD SR5