Hitch ball shank length and diameter?

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
Trying to determine what I'll need. How do I figure out the shank length (sm, med, large)? Or perhaps that's not necessary and I just go with a "starter kit" like this (I believe I only need a 1" drop and everything I find is no lower than a 2" drop - I'll measure again to be sure).
Starter KitBlackIII Class
Compare
  • REESE
  • Starter Kit, Black, III Class
  • Item # 20PV24
  • Mfr. Model # 21536
  • Starter Kit,Ball Size (In.) 2,Hole Dia. (In.) 1,Class III,Capacity GVW (Lb.) 6000/600,Black Finish,For Use With 2 In. x 2 In. Box opening,Features Draw Bar with 2 In. Drop and 3/4 In. Rise Included, 2 In. Hitch Ball Included, 5/8 In. Pin and Clip Included

Price $30.45 / each

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    Michele,

I already had a locking Pin with another hitch.  I went to Walmart and bought a 2 inch ball on a bar having a 3-½ inch drop that gave me a 16-½ inch ball height that was as close as I could get to the desired 16 inch ball height at the time, and I don't think the ½ inch should be a real problem.  Our Walmart is a decent source for reasonably priced RV and trailer stuff.

Gil
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I had to go with a 6" drop as my TV is a Honda Pilot and the receiver is positioned quite high. The first draw bar I had, which I got from the dealer, was 11 3/4" from the pin center to the center of the ball. This seemed to long to me so I purchased one that was 8 1/2". I went for an aluminum draw bar as I really like the look and the fact that it will never rust. It's rated for 11,000 Lbs, so it's stronger that the steel ones. I also bought a stainless steel ball, again, so no rust. The setup is about three times the cost, but I think it's worth it in the long run. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Thanks to both of you. I just measured and believe the 2" drop will work. Hopefully the standard bar length will be fine but guess I won't know until I pick up my T@B.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    My dealer set me up with the right one when I came to pick up the T@B - It was an adjustable setup.
  • RadRad Member Posts: 516
    "My" dealer ( great purchase price, clueless about T@Bs) set me up with a ball 2" to high.  I have changed to a 4" drop and I'm dead on at 16" now.  The dealer is 150 miles away, so I did not bother to have them solve it.
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    PXLated - I think we have the same dealer (Phoenix - right?).  Do you think it was a fair price compared to other places? If so, perhaps I'll wait until I pick up the trailer. I've already communicated with him that I plan on spending a few hours going over everything prior to me pulling off the lot so will see if they're as familiar with the T@B's workings as I've already become from just the time on this forum!

• CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Michele, so long as the 2" drop will get you to the correct height, which is about 16", the length should not matter unless you are planning on having another accessory that would require a longer length like a bike rack.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited March 2015
    PXLated - I think we have the same dealer (Phoenix - right?).  Do you think it was a fair price compared to other places? If so, perhaps I'll wait until I pick up the trailer. I've already communicated with him that I plan on spending a few hours going over everything prior to me pulling off the lot so will see if they're as familiar with the T@B's workings as I've already become from just the time on this forum!
    Are you picking up the T@B new?  If yes, the dealer should just throw in the necessary drop and the ball.  
  • leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Sorry to disagree cyclonic but the length matters when you have a tail gate to consider. I can't open mine without using an extender.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
    mickietucs - Nope, mine's in MN
    What they provided me is adjustable. I like it because it's not specific to the T@B height. Can move the ball to 3 or 4 different heights. I'd most a pic but I barely have a fast enough connect for text.
    Says www.maxxtow.com on the sticker I see.
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Lee & Scott, no disagreement, that is something to consider if you don't want to have to unhitch each time you want to open the tailgate. 

Length could also be a consideration if you carry a spare on the tail of the TV, as you will want to make sure it is far enough out as to not interfere with turning.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
    There's removable toungue jacks - You hook up and remove it, can then open tailgate, drop down or swing. Search here or on YouTube for the "Jack-E-Up"
    Works like a champ for me.
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    PXLated, the You Tube Video I watched showed the trailer jack with out a wheel while using the "Jack-E-Up." Just curious, did you remove the wheel from your T@B's tongue jack?
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

Yes, you remove the wheel whether you're using the standard/fixed jack or the Jack-E-Up otherwise it can drag on the ground (speed bumps for instance). It's just attached by a pin.
  • kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Thank you, PXLated. I will be placing my order this week. I am new to towing.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

Be aware that the Jack-E-Up will sit up atop the bolts that hold the standard jack plate to the frame - It won't sit right down flush like in the video. If you search these forums for "Jack-E-Up" you should find the pics I posted way back when I installed mine.