Options

A Familiar Alde Tale

Getting ready for a trip soon, so I was out checking the T@b’s systems this morning and discovered that the Alde control panel had no power.  Checked the various threads here and decided that one or both of the 3.15a Alde fuses needed to be replaced.  Power cord is plugged in, no loose connections.  I replaced the two original fuses with two spares that Alde had packed inside the black cover.  Powered back up and NOTHING.  More thread research, then replaced the two replacements with two I got from Amazon.  Same result.

I reset the AC breaker for the Alde (it didn’t appear to have tripped, but I did it anyway).  My DC fuses aren’t labeled as shown in Fuses For Newbies(see photo below), so if anyone knows which one is the Alde circuit, I’ll try replacing it, I guess.

My warranty is up in a couple of weeks, so I’ll take T@b to the dealer if necessary, but am hoping I’m missing something obvious.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

2018 T@G 320 S (silver on silver); TV=2016 Kia Sorento V-6 AWD

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Our problem was the thermal fuse on the circuit board,  which degrade and fail.  Wouldn't expect that on a 2018 yet, but it's one more thing to check.  I made a jumper with two alligator clips and a short bit of wire to clip around the fuse to test it.  Have 10 of those fuses and a soldering kit now. :)
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    There are little LEDs on the circuit board to the right of each fuse. If a fuse is blown, the corresponding LED should light up.

What is your battery voltage?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ChucklecChucklec Member Posts: 16
    @db_cooper:  The possibility of the bad thermal fuse crossed my mind, but it seems like a bit of a complicated job.  Might defer that to the dealer if that's the only possibility of what's wrong.

@Photomom:  Good tip on the LEDs -- wasn't aware of that.  Just went out and checked the battery voltage.  It's 12.5 V.  After checking went back to shore power. Alde controller screen  inoperative in battery and shore power modes.
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    Try reseating the cables that lead to the control panel?
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    If you have a multimeter you can check the thermal fuse. But if it’s in warranty you can and should have it looked at. I have heard of at least two of the digital panels that died, that could be the problem.
  • Options
    @ChrisK:  Good suggestion, but unfortunately no luck.
    @Photomom:  Just checked and have good continuity through the thermal fuse.  As you suggest, looks like it might be a bad circuit board.  I'll put in a call to NuCamp warranty dept. and see what they say.  (Just checked my paperwork, and my warranty is up in three days!)

Thanks to all for the many helpful suggestions.
  • Options
    Chucklec said:
    @ChrisK:  Good suggestion, but unfortunately no luck.
    @Photomom:  Just checked and have good continuity through the thermal fuse.  As you suggest, looks like it might be a bad circuit board.  I'll put in a call to NuCamp warranty dept. and see what they say.  (Just checked my paperwork, and my warranty is up in three days!)

Thanks to all for the many helpful suggestions.
    You might also send an email describing the problem and include your purchase date and VIN.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I changed out my circuit board almost 3 years ago. If you are comfortable removing the LP gas connections, it won’t take long. I wasn’t comfortable messing with the LP connections so it took me about 3 hours. Be sure to get the tool that the instructions say to get—you cannot get the special screws out if you don’t. And, one of those long magnetic extendable tools would be very helpful. Those screws sure are attracted to the floor beside the Alde, on the back side where you can't get your hands ;)

And be sure to watch for static electric shocks that can blow the new circuit board. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    I changed out my circuit board almost 3 years ago. If you are comfortable removing the LP gas connections, it won’t take long. I wasn’t comfortable messing with the LP connections so it took me about 3 hours. Be sure to get the tool that the instructions say to get—you cannot get the special screws out if you don’t. And, one of those long magnetic extendable tools would be very helpful. Those screws sure are attracted to the floor beside the Alde, on the back side where you can't get your hands ;)

And be sure to watch for static electric shocks that can blow the new circuit board. 
    Keep in mind it might be the digital control panel itself or the wiring back to the circuit board inside the Alde.
  • Options
    Thanks @Verna and @Photomom.  I've now talked and emailed with Renee at NuCamp.  Waiting for a service appointment at the factory.  Only 70 miles from me (my dealer is 45 Miles), so I'd prefer to go there and hopefully avoid the "we've got to order parts" excuse to keep the T@b for days.
  • Options
    @Verna:  I wanted to check one thing with you.  I was looking at the Alde 3010 maintenance manual and the section on replacing the circuit board doesn't say anything about dealing with gas lines.  I would be willing to try the replacement if it doesn't require special tools.

I am running out of time to get someone else to do the repair before we leave on a three-week trip.  Local dealer has no openings before we leave, and I can't get any response from the NuCamp service department to my request.  Do you think Elsie would send me the board, or should I try to deal directly with Alde?

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Elsie had the board 3 yrs ago. Lowe’s has the special ball ended screwdriver tool. The instructions and the YouTube tell you how to do it.

The gas lines are so close to the circuit board that you cannot maneuver very well. I’m a woman with small hands, but maneuvering around the LP gas lines was not easy. Had I been comfortable at my abilities to disconnect then reconnect the gas lines, it would have been a 30 minute job. 

No, I do not have the paperwork as I left it with my T@B S Max when I traded it in. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Well, looks like the problem is solved!  I was looking at the Alde this morning after reading @Verna's suggestion to see how tough it would be to replace the Alde circuit board.  I thought about there being no power to the control panel, so I decided to confirm that the wiring between the unit and the control panel was OK.  Continuity checked out.  As I was screwing the control panel back in, I thought maybe I should see if there was continuity within the control panel itself.  Nope!  But I decided to call Alde to make sure that indicates a problem with the unit itself.  Spencer at Alde (very knowledgeable guy) thought it might be the problem, but told me a sure way to check.  You need to unplug the white plug (DC power) between the two green fuses, then watch the control panel screen as you plug it back in.  If the screen briefly flashes from black to white, the screen is getting power, but the board in it is bad.  That was my result.

A quick call to Elsie at NuCamp confirmed that they had a replacement control panel available.  As luck would have it, my brother- and sister-in-law are visiting Ohio Amish country today, and will stop by the factory and bring to me this afternoon.

One more thing to think about when the Alde won't work.