Options

What's Your Tow Vehicle?

sabelsabel Member Posts: 283

Is anyone towing with a Toyota 4Runner? I have a 2011 and am a little concerned about the tongue jack or handle hitting the lift-up rear door. Our Outback is due to arrive anytime now but dealer is 130 miles away. Want to be as prepared as possible. Outback will be a little higher than regular Y@B, I know. So can't determine for sure until it arrives.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Can always do what some of us have done... because most tailgates or swing outs will probably hit the jack - especially if there's a spare tire on the tail like my Jeep ...install a Jack-E-Up - search the forum (there's pics) or YouTube for a video.
  • Options
    Ooops, forgot the most important part - It allows you to remove the Jack when hooked up.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I have to use an extender on the hitch if I want to open my gate on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. My T@B has a sticker warning against using it but according to the specs for the extender I am well within it's limits.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283

Can the tongue jack handle be turned 180* so that it is located to the rear of the jack? Looks like that might be all that would be necessary in my situation.

Is the Jack-E-Up difficult to install on this trailer?

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    sabel said:

Can the tongue jack handle be turned 180* so that it is located to the rear of the jack? Looks like that might be all that would be necessary in my situation.

Is the Jack-E-Up difficult to install on this trailer?

I am not sure you could rotate it as it seemed to me there was a definite "right" way to seat it. The Yahoo group has a discussion on the Jack-e-up. 

I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the gate door is inhibited by the tongue jack but I don't consider it a tremendous inconvenience as I unhook a lot of the time and if I am going to remain hooked up I just pack so that anything I need is either in the T@b or accessible through a passenger door on the Jeep.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Oh my, another thing to worry about and I haven't yet picked up my T@B!  Since I travel with dogs, I must have the ability to open the rear hatch while traveling.  Perhaps the swing trailer jack would work?  I would hate to have to remove and carry a jack.

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Does anyone know if a Honda Pilot's tailgate will open without any problems? Also, the videos of the Jack -E-Up don't show a wheel on the trailer jack when it is removed. I'd be interested in any comments about that.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    You can rotate the Jack-E-Up as long as you align the bolt heads in the groves - so three positions for the handle side. I face mine back.
    While your jacking up it feels totally unstable until the three bolt heads and the flanges on the jack engage the ring, then it tightens up.
    The first time I used it I thought I'd made a mistake because it's somewhat wobbly until it engages. Works like a champ for me.
    ----------
    The wheel has a pin you pull to remove it so you can pull the jack out. You remove the wheel on the factory install anyway or it will hit the ground while traveling.
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Kybob.  The Honda Pilot tailgate does clear the jack on our 2015 CSS. Works great.  
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.