Options

odd fan squeaking noise happening

As long as i've had my T@B the fan has been making a very odd squeaking type noise intermittently. This only happens when the fan is set to "air pushed out" (exhaust mode). When I wish to "air pulled in" mode, the noise does not happen at any speed. Any experience or feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-AJZWK4wdM
2017 T@B Max S

Comments

• Options
    gymcoachdongymcoachdon Member Posts: 54
    Sounds like less than perfect tolerances on the shaft, and possibly bad bearing surface.  Without looking at it, it makes sense that if you have an upper and lower bearing surface, the pressure will be on a different surface depending on which direction the fan is turning.  Pushing air in will lift the fan, exhausting air will push the fan down.
    A little silicone spray on the lower bearing surface should eliminate or reduce it, at least temporarily.?
    2016 T@B CS-S
    TV 2007 F150
  • Options
    JimTrish88JimTrish88 Member Posts: 14
    Had the same issue, it sounded like a squeaky hamster wheeI.  I contacted the customer service of the fan maker (Dometic Fan-Tastic manual vent fan)) and they sent me out a replacement fan motor promptly.
    2018 T@B CS-S towed by 2015 Kia Sedona
    Brandenburg, Kentucky

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Had the same issue, it sounded like a squeaky hamster wheeI.  I contacted the customer service of the fan maker (Dometic Fan-Tastic manual vent fan)) and they sent me out a replacement fan motor promptly.
    Did you have to change it from the outside or could you do it from the inside?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
    Thanks for the tips, just contacted Dometic as well and hopefully they can help me solve the problem. The noise has gotten quite a bit worse since I originally took the video last month, its now happening on almost all speed settings and when operating in both directions. 
    2017 T@B Max S
  • Options
    danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
    Already heard back from Dometic after sending them the video I made of the squeak, they confirmed I need a new fan motor and are sending me one at no charge. Amazing service and response time :-)
    2017 T@B Max S
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    @danp212 I had the same problem , it was about one yr. ago when the T@B was almost a yr. old.. they send new fan motor..  I installed ,  it has been  quiet ever since..P.S.  they told me the part is warrenty for 7 yrs.. good luck..    
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    What is their contact info?

Thanks 
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    I found their contact info.  With one call I have a new fan motor on the way!

Thanks for this post and blazing this trail for us!!
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    manny said:
    @danp212 I had the same problem , it was about one yr. ago when the T@B was almost a yr. old.. they send new fan motor..  I installed ,  it has been  quiet ever since..P.S.  they told me the part is warrenty for 7 yrs.. good luck..    
    Did you have to replace it from the roof or could it all be done inside?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    I had to replace the electronic speed control on mine -- was able to do it all from the inside. (IIRC, I also had pulled the fan motor down as well, also from the inside. Just a few screws.)