Options

Towing with a Sway Bar

CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
edited March 2014 in Tips & Tricks
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ready - Set - Tow!.

I decided to split this topic off as there is some very useful information contained within, and this would make it easier for folks to find this information later.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    oldnewartguyoldnewartguy Member Posts: 11

I'm new to towing. Saw a guy in Fla. with a Casita and noticed that he had a sway bar which he highly recommended. What do any of you experienced T@Bbers know of think about the need for a sway bar?

Thanks 

Tom & Pam in MD

2014 T@B S M@XX         2014 Subaru Outback

• Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    I use a sway bar.  I had it installed when I bought T@b in Feb 2012  because I was a little nervous about towing and it definitely made me feel safer.  After I gained more confidence, I would not put it on.  Then I would have to stop and put it back on.  Without it, my already bouncy Jeep bounced even more.  With the sway bar on, it rides very smooth.  It has a towing capacity of 5000lb, so that's not why it bounces up and down though.  I think it is just the nature of my Liberty.  Bottom line, sway bars don't hurt and if they make you a more confident tower, go for it. 
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Thanks, Jbug, I'm leaning towards getting it, but I'll also contact Beckley's about their opinion and the cost. We are scheduled to pick our new "Lucy" in 1-1/2 weeks. All dewinterized and ready to go. Hopefully spring will arrive in Maryland soon.

Tom & Pam in MD

• Options

Neil is right, you can't make a blanket statement like don't waste your money on a sway bar just because one person has not had an issue with one make and model tow vehicle.   

• Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    I pull our T@B with my Outback, no sway bar and I've never felt the need.None of the T@Bs I've run into here in the Pacific NW have used a sway bar either. When I talked to Chris (LG Marketing Mgr) at the Seattle RV show, he indicated it usually isn't necessary and I got the same answer from our dealer (Apache RV) whom I trust very much.

As an aside, I believe this issue would be better placed as a separately named discussioni.e. Sway Bar Question instead of in an announcement discussion for the "Ready, Set, Tow" reference.

just my 2-bits...

...stan
    Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    CorfuCorfu Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2014
    Oldnewartguy, I live in MD and my T@B is supposed to be delivered to Beckley's April 1. I have a feeling ours are arriving together :)

Anyway, I have a friction swaybar sitting in my garage from a previously owned large popup. If on the tow home I find I don't need one and you want one, I'll make you a good deal.
    Steve
    Maryland
    2014 T@B S Maxx "T@BOO"
    2005 Honda Pilot
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Hi Stan,

Good advice and as things go, our discussions do get off topic from time to time and it's really not a problem as we expect it and it's a great way to learn and discuss all these things that many folks aren't aware of.  On the flip side you are spot on, as a lot of information can be gleaned therein, but is unfortunately lost as it does tend to get buried within other non-related discussions as has occurred here.  

For all of our members, I would certainly encourage you all to begin a new discussion should you happen upon something within a discussion that you believe will help someone out down the road as this is the intent of the forum therein.  It is our wish to help out both newbies and even seasoned trailer owners and build a repository of information that will benefit people well out and into the future.  That was the concept of the first forum, the Little Guy forum area. That has been successful and allows people to find answers to questions, ask questions about the units and gain a better understanding of teardrop trailers.  We are also friends, come to chat with friends and find out about gatherings and what everyone is doing in converting and making their trailers "their home away from home."  

Enjoy your stay and by all means we encourage everyone who visits and joins the forum to start new discussions and become more knowledgeable as it helps everyone!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I agree with Tabbit on not buying the bars.  We've attended many T@B gatherings and rallies, sometimes as many as 30+ T@Bs present.  I have yet to see anyone towing a T@B with an anti-sway bar.  I tow with a Jeep Liberty and have never felt the need for one.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    We definitely need a sway bar with our T@B Clamshell/wet/bath. Don't know if it is a big difference in weight distribution in the Clamshell vs the regular T@B or just our car. We had very bad weather, blinding rain and lots of sway with the T@B. Very uncomfortable ride. Yes, Verna, Richard was doing most of the driving. 
    TV is a Ford Explorer, v6.
    Which sway bar did you guys buy? The only one I know of is made by Curt.
    Maybe other T@Bs do not need it, but ours certainly does. 
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited March 2014
    If you put more weight toward the front or between the axle and rear of the car that will help some with the sway or back and forth action experienced pulling a trailer.  That's an indicator that you might have too much weight in the rear end of the trailer. Proper tire inflation is important too.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Mike, your post reminds me of one time when I was leaving with an almost empty T@B (was just going to display at an event) and noticed right off the bat it wasn't pulling the same.  It wasn't a sway, but more of a bucking.  I pulled over, and removed our add-a-room from the Jeep and put it front center inside the T@B.  That cured the issue, and the rest of the drive was normal.  I think it needed a little more weight near the tongue, possibly, since the cabinets and fridge were basically empty.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Belva, mine is a Curt.  My issue is not sway which to me means back and forth.  My jeep bounces up and down and the sway just smooths that out.
  • Options

Neil, had new suspension and shocks, etc. in 2013.  The bouncing is not so bad that shocks are suspect, just not the smoothest ride.

• Options
    Dutchmen T@Bs might be in a different situation than LG, too.  I was always told sway bar is not advisable for the T@B because it would disable the surge brake mechanism.  I assumed that was correct.  Just passing along the info.

• Options
    Thanks to everybody for the sway bar discussion. We decided against the sway bar. Brought Lucy home last week and she followed the Subaru perfectly. No sway whatsoever, hardly knew she was there. First trip coming up in a couple weeks.. 

Tom & Pam in MD

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Fantastic!
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    CorfuCorfu Member Posts: 51
    Same experience towing our new T@B. Just got home from a 500 mile round trip across the Eastern Continental Divide from Annapolis to Swallow Falls State Park. Tows like a dream.
    Steve
    Maryland
    2014 T@B S Maxx "T@BOO"
    2005 Honda Pilot