Options

The future of trailers?

JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
Here’s a new concept. All electric, solar powered. Did I mention it almost drives itself. 😳

http://flip.it/hJqu6i
2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I saw this last night in my Google news feed, too. Interesting concept. 

I have recently noticed a major shifting of batteries towards lithium and drop in price but lithium batteries are still being changed at a fairly quick pace, to last longer and have more capacity. I would imagine that this pace will need to slow and their dependency on rare earth materials would need to drop in order for them to really become mainstays in RVs. 

Some have installed them in their T@bs, but the current rate makes one that is comparable to my AGM set up at least 4x the cost.Maybe if I was FT I would consider it, but it hardly seems worth it. I think I would pull the trigger on a  generator, intead.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I'm amazed at the efficiency of the solar set-up on our new 400.  We got the fixed, single 190W panel on the roof, it looks clean and I think in optimal sunlight conditions I could easily live off grid indefinitely.  I'm glad we opted for the solar package and the trailer sat parked in the side yard for over a week without any noticeable change in the dual 6-volt battery voltage.  I'm not sure I'll need my Zamp 200 panel now but plan to hang onto it for insurance backup in Arizona should I need it.  But agree, the technology is marching forward at a furious pace and prices will drop as newer technologies enter the marketplace.  These are fun times indeed!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Kevin@7Kevin@7 Member Posts: 66
    What an awesome idea!  Reduced TV demand would really be nice.  I feel environmental guilt every time I see my mpg as I tow the 400.  I'm definitely in the minority in that area as I look around at the other RV's on the road.   Not a good idea to tow a big trailer with a small car even with adequate power.  TV Weight and wheel base are critical to handling the realities mother nature has in store.

2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk
    2018 T@B 400 (white w/ red trim)