Options

Day 2 of new ownership

BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
Saturday I picked up my new 320. The transaction and delivery went smoothly. The dealers final comment as I pulled away was to keep the speed at or below 65. As luck would have it my GPS immediately put me on the Toll Roads surrounding Austin in my return trip to Houston. Unfortunately the speed limits ranged between 70 and 80 mpg. At 65 I felt more like an obstacle than part of the surrounding traffic. After about an hour of this I began to un-pucker enough to begin to relax. It was at this point that I realized that I was driving in overdrive ( have a 2016 Honda Pilot with a 6 speed tranny) and I had the ECO button depressed. My gas mileage had dropped from the typical 24/25 mpg to 12/13. Yikes. Which brings me to my question.... When towing, is it suggested that OD be engaged, and what effect does the ECO button have.
Bear in mind the most of Texas is reasonably flatish. 
Gerri (Gary) Ewing
Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    I can only speak about our Ford. When traveling thru hills you can have excessive shifting between overdrive and the next lower gear.  If you don’t notice excessive shifting, use overdrive for best gas mileage. I don’t have an eco button in this new vehicle.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    Maybe this will help. Kinda sounds like a no-go from reading this.

http://blog.consumerguide.com/what-does-the-eco-button-do/
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    Your tires are rated at 65mph max.

This post about Towing and RPM helped me: http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/7113/towing-and-rpm

From the above discussion, on a recent trip, I learned not to drive in overdrive unless on a highway and my RPM's were high enough the car wasn't lugging. Driving in 4th made towing much smoother (I have a 5 speed automatic).

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    BogieMeister said:
    Saturday I picked up my new 320.
    Congratulations and welcome to the T@B family. Which model 320 did you purchase?  Have any pictures . . .
    BogieMeister said:
    Bear in mind the most of Texas is reasonably flatish. 
    =)  As a kid I lived in northern New Mexico and during the winter months the highway was full of  vacationing Texas license plate cars with less then ideal snowy road driving skills.  My father [well before politically correct was a term] would roar . . . If God wanted Texans to ski, he would have given them a mountain . . . =)
    BogieMeister said:
    . . . was driving in overdrive ( have a 2016 Honda Pilot with a 6 speed tranny) and I had the ECO button depressed. My gas mileage had dropped from the typical 24/25 mpg to 12/13. Yikes. Which brings me to my question.... When towing, is it suggested that OD be engaged, and what effect does the ECO button have.
    Your Pilot owners manual (page 471) says 'D' which includes OD gears 5 & 6 is fine on flatish roads and that the 'D4' button should be used when:
     - - Going up or down [steep] hills
     - - Towing a trailer in hilly terrain

Your MPG drop is realistic for Pilot size vehicles when traveling above 65 MPH, you should do slightly better in the 60-65 MPH range.  Relax, get into the right hand lane, don't worry about folks passing you.  While Texas maximum legal trailer towing speed is 70 MPH you can go slower and most states have trailer legal limits well below 70.

From the Owners Manual limited description of the ECO button function, I wouldn't use it while towing as it slows engine response.

BTW, Honda owners manuals seem to have some of the best information on Trailer Towing of any manufacturer.  Well worth reading from time to time.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    dsfdogs said:
    Our T@B tires say on the sidewall:
    "SPEED RATING 'L' (75 MPH MAX)"
    I normally drive between 60-65, and on level ground our Sienna seems happy at around 2300 rpm.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    What year was the change on tires from 65 to 75?  I'd feel nervous driving a trailer that fast anyway, but I'm curious. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
    Wow, what a wealth of information. Thank you very much.
    Unfortunatelyg my learning curve is pretty steep right now. 
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing
    Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
    2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
    Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

• Options
    CherylinDallasCherylinDallas Member Posts: 21
    BogieMeister, Welcome to the forum!  

I see that you were driving from Austin to Houston after picking up your 320.  Did you get your 320 at Princess Craft in Round Rock?  We bought our 400 there based solely on recommendations from people on this forum--it was good advice and we have been pleased with the after-purchase service.  

When hubby and I returned home to Dallas with our new T@B, hubby intentionally did NOT take the interstate because he was worried about keeping up with traffic, etc.  It was a miserable trip over those bumpy, windy state roads.  On a subsequent trip from Dallas to the dealer, hubby did take the interstate, drove about 65 mph, and he said it was the way to go.  Easy driving, and he didn't worry about local traffic coming and going onto the road.

Oh, dear, another hi-jack.  Well, folks on this forum are helpful and friendly even though not always on track.

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    BrianZ said:
    dsfdogs said:
    I normally drive between 60-65, and on level ground our Sienna seems happy at around 2300 rpm.
    Hi @BrianZ, I totally agree with you on the speed and rpm-seems to be my car's happy place too. On my factory tires on my '18, the mph max is 65 so I assumed that is still standard on @BogieMeister's new T@B. I have read replacement tires such as Goodyear Endurance are rated higher.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    BrianZ said:
    dsfdogs said:

The Only Way to Know Your Tire Speed Rating is to READ the Tire Sidewall or since some brands do not clearly include the speed on the sidewall research the manufacturer documentation. 

Do Not Trust that your tires are the same brand, type, or classification as other T@B owners. NuCamp or their suppliers have several sources for tires and while all meet some TBD minimum specification the tires installed by NuCamp seem to change frequently.  I've seen Outback (Boondock) with different brand, classification tires on the same T@B Dealer lot.

My Outback style A/T happen to have a 118 MPH rating and reinforced shoulders.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+