Options

Towing a T@B S with a 2015 Subaru Outback

HalHal Member Posts: 1
Will the Outback be a good tow vehicle for the T@B S

Comments

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    There are several T@B owners here who will be able to give feedback from their experience. We have towed our T@B S with a 2012 Subaru Forester, 2.5L, standard transmission, with a 2400 pound tow weight capacity and I would say it is more than adequate. Having said that, though I love my Subaru, when it is time to replace it, I'm looking at something with more horsepower and minimum towing capacity of 3500 pounds such as a Jeep Cherokee or a Ford Edge.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I test pulled our t@b with a friend's 4 cyl Outback and it did OK.  I felt it was under powered, but perfectly safe.  We purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the factory tow package.  We love it.  Factory tow packages offer a lot more than just a hitch.   If money were less of a consideration, I would get the diesel version.  You will find TV a passionate subject so my comments are meant as constructive suggestions.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Depends on where you want to tow the T@B - Last week I crossed over from Death Valley, up 9% grade mountains up to 6,000+ elevation (49 minutes of up) and there were times I could barely hold 30mph in my six-cylinder Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Even on the more normal 6% grade highways I'm in the slow lane.
  • Options
    remphotoremphoto Member Posts: 11
    Good information.  We are looking at a Jeep Cherokee, Ford Escape and GMC Terrain with their largest engines and factory tow packages.  All are rated around the 3,500 pounds, so think they would be good tow vehicles.  Also been looking at a 2005 Chevy SSR pickup (the one with the fold down top).  With its Corvette motor and retro-look it might just be the ultimate Tab tow vehicle (except for gas mileage). :)
  • Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    We've been all over the Cascades here in Washington and we could be happier with our 2013 Outback, 4 cyl. I'm not "Haulin' Ass" but I can set the speed control to 55-60 on the freeway and I was able to maintain 50-55 up Blewet Pass which is a Pretty steep climb on a two lane road. Always feel safe.

Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318

remphoto, I think the Jeep Cherokee with the factory tow package is rated at 4500 lbs.  We could not fine one that wasn't so loaded up that it wound up being the slightly less costly for a Laredo E model of the JGC with 6200 lbs towing capacity.  The JGC has automatic rear suspension leveling, pre wired for the charging wire and is set up for electric brakes wiring.  It has oversized alternator and better cooling for when you are going up mountains. I suspect the JC is similar in extra features as a part of the factory tow package.  I like the larger capacity as the tongue rating is larger so that there are options for taking bicycles and stuff like that.  This is what we purchased for our bikes.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64955.html

Having fun now!

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL