Options

sway bar

DionfamDionfam Member Posts: 2
I would like to know if   I buy a T@B    if I  need to buy a sway bar with
T@B tell me   that its not a must. a local dealer tell me its a obligation et a guy who sell is  T@D adventure with  a sway bar telle me its  a must
I will  have a Toyota RAV 4  with a 4 cylinder 176 HP

Comments

• Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2018
    Not a must at all, I don't have one and have no intentions on getting one. The best thing is to make sure the trailer is fairly level when it is coupled to the vehicle, a slight nose down on the tongue side is better than being too high as this will cause uneven weight distribution and introduce sway.  Also when you load up your camper make sure you distribute the weight evenly as well.  Its better to have a bit more weight up front then in the back of the camper.  If you put too much weight in the back of the camper this also can cause it to sway.  Having about 10 to 15% of your camper weight on the tongue is the best practice.  So if your T@b weighs in at 2000lbs then your tongue weight should be around 200lbs.  I have seen people check this with a cheap bathroom scale.  I don't think it is necessary though, Just make sure to put a bit more weight up front and you will be fine.  If you feel it sway you can always shuffle some things around. I tow with a Full size Volvo S80 sedan and have been up to 80mph (which is not recommended and was only for a short while) and had no sway.  Sometimes wind can introduce some sway, but a quick press of the button on your brake controller can fix that quickly.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Dionfam, are you considering purchasing a t@b 320 or 400? The general consensus of most members on this forum is that an anti-sway bar is NOT necessary when towing a t@b 320. Many feel the same way about the 400, but there are a few who feel more comfortable with an anti-sway bar on that bigger t@b. Control of trailer sway is largely a function of proper tongue weight and proper towing height. Other causes of trailer sway are improper load distribution and excessive speed in relation to the type of trailer being towed. This is true of all trailers, travel and otherwise. To repeat, an anti-sway bar is not necessary, and the recommendation by the dealer to purchase one may be an effort to increase the profit margin.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Which model you’re considering will also be important when it comes to the question of -can your 4 cylinder Rav 4 actually tow it safely? If you search in the upper right search field using Rav 4, you’ll see many discussions. Take some time and read through them for valuable information.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    jgram2 said:
    Which model you’re considering will also be important when it comes to the question of -can your 4 cylinder Rav 4 actually tow it safely? If you search in the upper right search field using Rav 4, you’ll see many discussions. Take some time and read through them for valuable information.
    Good point, the towing capacity for the 4cyl is only 1500lbs.  The dry weight of the T@b is 1800lbs so not too sure your SUV can safely handle that towing weight. May not be recommended for your type of vehicle.  You might be better suited for a T@g.
  • Options
    Newbomb_TurkNewbomb_Turk Member Posts: 18

Just my personal experience: Our inaugural trip was from Fort Worth to Omaha (College World Series) and I experienced some sway at 65+ mph.  (2014 Ford Escape Titanium TV / 2016 T@B Outback).

After our return, I had an anti-sway bar installed and have had zero sway issues since.  Just be sure to uncouple the bar before backing.

• Options
    Brew64Brew64 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee pulling a 2018 320tab, I did purchase a $45 stabilizer anti-sway bar just to have piece of mind if there was ever high wind. 
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    I have an outback and I load it full of all kinda things......I never have had any sway pulling with my Tacoma and Tundra..
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    Could anyone tell me what they consider "sway"?  The trailer pulling the back of the TV side to side?  The trailer moving a little bit in your own lane?  The trailer moving out of your lane so you can see the side of the trailer in the side mirrors?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Spectre9Spectre9 Member Posts: 39
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    That's cool but my toyotas are old....04 and 06....they barely have power locks. ..lol but both pushing 225,000 plus miles. 
  • Options
    JeffipooJeffipoo Member Posts: 2
    Just installed a Fastway sway bar/ weight distribution system
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRYHGRK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
    and it not only dampens sway and smooths out the ride, it allows your suspension to better tow by putting more weight on the front tires. Without it my front end was up 3/4 inch which not only makes your headlights shine into oncoming traffic but puts more load on your rear suspension and will wear tire and suspension out faster. With sway bar attached my front end is up 1/4 in which is within safe range. I’d recommend strongly.
    2005 T@b 320s 
    2020 Rav 4 Prime plug in hybrid 
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Check your Toyota’s Owners Manual, towing chapter.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    RemoLynRemoLyn Member Posts: 5
    We have a 2022 Tab400 Boondock and have used an Andersen WD Hitch w/Friction anti-sway capacity for a few very short runs with no problematic issues.    I just read info in the Andersen Installation Manual that states "...some newer electronic anti-sway systems [on the truck] can misread the anti-sway efforts of the Andersen WD Hitch and the anti-sway system may actually cause the trailer to sway....If you experience this type of issue, you will need to turn off the electronic anti-sway in your vehicle in order to tow with the Andersen WD Hitch."  
        It goes on to report..." This issue is most likely to occur in 2011 and newer truck models from Ford, GMC, Dodge and Chevy."   We tow with a 2011 Honda Ridgeline equipped with VSA [Vehicle Stability Assistance.]
        I'd like to know if anyone out there [with any WDH system] has had this problematic issue occur in regard to their truck's electronic anti-sway capacity.