Options

Level kit for towing

FitzFitz Member Posts: 12
We are towing a TAB 400 with a Nissan Pathfinder and feel like the back of the car rides a bit low when towing.  Has anyone installed a leveling kit on their tow vehicle? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Use the search box and enter Air Lift.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Or you can put adjustable spring perches under your rear coils. 

I had problems with the poly bladders a lot of folks put inside their rear coil springs, and my vehicle didn't have clean mounting points for an independent air lift kit. 

Spring perches give you a half inch to three inches of lift if you can find a set that fits your coil lower arm rest.  I just wanted something mechanical I could fine tune with a socket without taking anything apart.  Requires an alignment if you significantly change the geometry.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I am going to offer an unpopular opinion and that is none of these leveling devices add ANY weight carrying capacity to a vehicle. Sure it might be level and help bottoming, but facts are it doesn't change any manufacturers ratings on tires, wheels, frame, springs, axles, etc. If you are truly sagging too much then it is simply an undersized TV for whatever load you have.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2018
    I looked for a suitable image of a Honda Gold Wing with huge rear suspension components towing a T@B on Google Images, but couldn't find one.   :)

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    You could do a weight distribution equalizer with sway control then you can lift the rear of the car by distributing the weight.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    Fitz said:
    We are towing a TAB 400 with a Nissan Pathfinder and feel like the back of the car rides a bit low when towing. 

Just did a google search on Pathfinder & towing.  Seems a common issue with that vehicle.  One comment . . .
    have a 2008 S 4x4. We tow a 2,000lb tent trailer and have a 250lb. tongue weight. I can tell you, the airbags are essential, even for not towing. For some reason, Nissan set up the rear suspension very soft. The airbags are only $80, which is a bargain for how much they help.
    We recently loaded with the trailer fully stocked, the PF loaded to the ceiling, three bikes on the roof, and the four of us inside. I had 30psi in the airbags and it towed straight and easy. The rear doesn't sag hardly at all. For the sized load we have, the PF is proving to be a great tow vehicle. There's plenty of power even with the V6.
    Adding some type of aftermarket spring lift and/or going to WD type of hitch are easy solutions.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    FitzFitz Member Posts: 12
    Thanks everyone. We weren’t looking to increase towing capacity just to help eliminate porpoising. The air lift search was just what we needed. We can always count on the forum, you are all so helpful, thanks again!
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    I noticed that how I load my TV can make a big difference. I try to load heavier stuff in front of my rear axle. It’s nit necessarily something that’s possible if you’re using the rear seats for passengers but it’s something to keep in mind. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab