Options

bike Rack

Been looking for something to haul our 2 bikes that is simple, easy to load the bikes on, and provides some wind/rain protection during travel. Found this idea and wonder what people think.

https://youtu.be/pD7dWdH4R5M
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2018
    I think it's probably a viable and lower cost alternative for transporting bikes and eliminates the issue of bounce during travel and subsequent damage and problems that might arise.  The issue I would have with this type of set-up however is being able to access the bed of the pick-up during travel and not being able to drop the tailgate without first removing the bikes.  

I still like the Arvika bike racks (they are not cheap, around $600) as they are rugged, hold up well and allow me to carry a couple of bikes easily and secure them to the trailer.  I had one on my former 320 T@B.  

Is there anyone with a 400 out there who has mounted the Arvika bike rack to the tongue of the trailer who would share some photos and post one up with bikes loaded and a shot of the front window opened up?  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I’ve been looking at these, but the Amazon reviews aren’t that great. Biggest issue seems to be fit on the hitch. Swagman also makes one, $117 on Amazon, and has no 1 star reviews. Might be worth spending a bit more. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    No. This one.
    Swagman 64600 2" Sleev 3 Bike Fold Down Hitch Rack

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    • Options
      mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
      i dont have a T@b yet...   but been looking to buy one in the near future.   anyone have tried to take a two bike inside the t@b.    will they fit through the door?   tie them down somehow ?   
    • Options
      mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
      What I don't like about that rack is one point of suspension and so the bikes need to be somewhat balanced on the arm. 
      Mickey & Terri
      2016 Max S
      Kalamazoo Michigan
    • Options
      DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
      edited September 2018

I mounted a Jack-it on the tongue of our 400. I tweaked the upper mount somewhat to lower it to help my vertically challenged DW get her bike off easier.

Edited for picture resizing.
      2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
      2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
      Massachusetts
    • Options
      TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
      edited September 2018
      @mreric -- Inside the T@B solution.
      If you plan to purchase a TAB 320 U or S with the Lagun table that pivots out of the way, there is enough room between the side benches to place a DIY bike rack on the floor.
      First measure your bikes from front fork axle to edge of rear tire to make sure they'll fit between the galley and rear couch. 56" is about the limit for U and S models. A CS can handle more but I don't know that measurement.
      In this case you want a fork mount or track where the front wheel is removed. A bike with front wheel removed is easy to move around in tight spaces. A track includes a fork mount on one end and rear wheel strap on the other. One bike will face towards the rear and other towards the front, so they are sandwiched together to fit into the space.
      Attach the fork mounts or tracks onto a board that slides into the space between the benches 
      These images will give you the general idea: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fork+mount+bike+rack&FORM=HDRSC2

Keep in mind this solution is over the trailer axle so the rear wheels need to strapped down and the board anchored to the floor (or side benches). Otherwise bikes or rack will be bouncing into the air on a bumpy drive. :o 
      2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    • Options
      @mreric I’ve done this with one bike. I just put the couch back flat, spread a tarp on one seat and back and lay the bike flat. Two would fit no problem. However it takes two people to get the bike in and out and if I’m solo that won’t work  Good luck!
    • Options
      Still looking for a photo of the Arvika bike rack on a T@B 400 with front window extended, any bikers out there?   B)
    • Options
      @Michigan_Mike Here is a picture I took of a 400 at uCamp with an Arvika bike rack. The 400 is owned by Brian and Paula Harrell of Ontario Canada. ( I don't know if they follow this T@BForum but they have posted in the uCamp FB page so if you wanted to contact them you could try to reach out through Facebook.)  I talked with them a bit-they indicated to me they were very happy with it, and I learned that the upright in front of the window folds down horizontal so that when one is at camp you can enjoy the view without the rack uprights blocking the view.

Pam and John
      Champlin, Minnesota
      2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Options
      Thanks, that answers my question.  
    • Options
      philodogphilodog Member Posts: 1
      I only have one bike so I just place it on the bed. With the front wheel off it goes in and out the door no problem. Two would probably fit also with a little cushioning between them. Much easier, cheaper, secure and weatherproof than racks.
    • Options
      dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
      @philodog, welcome to the forum.
      2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
      Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    • Options
      ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
      DenisP said:

I mounted a Jack-it on the tongue of our 400. I tweaked the upper mount somewhat to lower it to help my vertically challenged DW get her bike off easier.

Edited for picture resizing.
      We got the Jack-It bike rack on Amazon in their returns section. I modded it to fit the older hydraulic brake setup, got it all mounted up but then realized it would not accommodate my fat tire bike. I emailed Lippert and asked with the popularity of fat tire bikes, are they going to offer a conversion kit. It would only require new longer horizontal mounts and straps. Their answer was that they have no plans to do so. Off came the Jack-it and we went back to our hitch mounted rack. Its a nice rack that cradles the bikes well. I'll be selling it at T@bazona this year.
      2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
    • Options
      rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
      edited October 2018

Swagman platform with modified hitch arm mounted to Stromberg Carlson A-frame trailer mount. 
      ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
      Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
      ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
      ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
      Huntington LI
    • Options
      peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51

A little late since this thread started but we were out travelling up and down Vancouver Island.  This is our "Jack It" with 2 bikes mounted. The trailer jack must be removed and the base of the Jack It tweeked to fit the bolts and back together it goes.  This is our fourth rack (Swagman etc.) on 3 different trailers and so far very pleased with it as there is no problems mounting the bikes, opening the truck gate or the trailer window or storage box.
      Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
      2019 T@B400 Rogue
      2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
    • Options
      HomeyfogleHomeyfogle Member Posts: 4
      edited March 2019
      I intend to go this route securing our bikes inside the trailer out of the weather behind a lockable door. RockBros Rooftop Bike Rack Quick Release Aluminium Alloy Bike Carrier with Sucker for Car 2 Bikes Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SVMRMT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GsHFCb03HM5B4

Apparently the suction cups work on multiple surfaces. This will keep the bikes safe, secure, and out of the weather away from road projectiles. It will also keep extra weight off the tongue and nearer the axle. Place cushions or blankets between and around bikes and voila. I looked at every imaginable bike rack option and have decided this will be the best option for us. I have a fairly expensive mtb so security and controlled climate are important factors.
      Jim & Mel
      T@B 320 S 2018 / 4Runner Nightshade 2019
      Parker, Colorado
    • Options
      dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
      @Homeyfogle, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer! 
      2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
      Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.