How does the 2 Way Norcold in T@B 400 perform on hot days?

Hi one and all, I am new here and in the process of ordering a new T@B 400 Boondock Lite.  For those who have a T@B 400 with the Norcold 2 way refrigerator, how does it perform on hot days?   In northern Michigan I routinely deal with humid and 90 - 95 temps.  I've not had great luck with smaller  2 way propane/120v refrigerators on hot days so I was wondering how the Norcold works in those conditions?  I have tried the search function but wasn't able to answer my question or missed the answer if it's out there, so I appologize in advance if its a redundant question.
TJ
Traverse City/San Diego 

Comments

• NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I recently camped (July) in 105 degree weather in California's Central Valley. The fridge was cold. No problems there at all.  I couldn't go outside to cook or anything due to the heat, but the a/c and fridge were great.
    I do have to set it between 4 and the maximum of 5 to keep it below 40, but it worked, as expected, for 4 days. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    No Problem with the 2 way in the 400.  camped in Oklahoma this summer and was in upper 90's.  The 2 way in the 400 has a compressor and the 3 way's were a evaporation type fridge as I under stand it.  Love our 400!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • cycleblokecyclebloke Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the comments on the Norcold 2 way refer.  From what I understand it has the Danfoss compressor and is built to perform better in hotter conditions.  It's nice to hear that it actually does and isn't just marketing.  
    TJ
    Traverse City/San Diego 
  • JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    @cyclebloke My 2019 400 Norcold fridge worked well with the outside temperature in the high 90s and no shade at a campground in Kentucky. Our frozen food stayed frozen at the 5 setting. We were on shore power for that trip though, so I don't know how long the fridge could operate at that setting while boondocking. Note that the 2-way fridge in my 400 is 12VDC/120VAC and doesn't use the propane.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • GiaGia Member Posts: 5
    We’re wondering how well this fridge works on DC only. We really want to Boondock for several days at a time. How well does the battery keep up, especially without sunshine for solar panels?
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I don't know the temp during this test, but this video shows days on battery alone. https://youtu.be/saNx9s-gDWY
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited February 2019
    I have been camping without electricity (dispersed camping g without electricity) since December 6th, 2018 (except for 4 days of tight RV Park camping) and I can honestly say that I am pleasantly surprised and satisfied with the 2-way fridge. It stays a rather constant temp, food and wine....I mean drinks....stay cold. I am very satisfied with it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @Verna three way or two way? You have a 400, correct?
    Two way, sorry typo. 

I’ve actually been living in my T@B 400 since late July and I’m extremely happy with the 2-way. I had electricity mostly through Dec 6, 2018, and only 4 days of electricity since then.

I do like this new breed of 2-way (12V and 110V) fridge. It’s definitely not like the former two way in the clamshell 320’s. Mine is not an energy hog, it keeps a relatively even temp, and there is more room than meets the eye. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Thanks so much for the video and feedback! That’s exactly what we wanted to know. We ordered a T@B 400 with small fridge and were second quessing our decision...so we get to keep the closet! 
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    Just got back from a Florida trip with unusually hot temps mid 80s and our 2018 400 with two way fridge worked great.  I could not imagine not having the closet.  We added three shelves and the storage is perfect for my DW and myself for both long and short trips. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    DenisP, that’s great to hear! Did you always have electric hookup or did it run on DC?
    Both, but mostly with hookups.  I have factory solar panels which do a great job keeping the batteries topped off.  My 400's two way refrigerator is so much more efficient than my previous R-Pod's three way refrigerator on 12 volt.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    I find here in Southern Louisiana when it is very hot n muggy it needs to be set 4 1\2 to 5 but when cooler 4 is fine-I've had problem with things freezing when put just below the freezer area like eggs or fresh veggies-just a warning even on 4
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Considering a T@B 400 upgrade and trying to find some more information regarding the refrigerator options.  Very little information on this available, and no mention of it what so ever on the nuCamp website.  

From what I can gather, the standard fridge is a 2.7 cu-ft 2-way (120 vac/ 12 vdc) compressor refrigerator and there is an optional 3-way (+ LP absorption fridge) that is somewhat larger but you loose the wardrobe space.

I think I would really like to have the 2-way compressor fridge as LP absorption refrigerators don't work well at high altitudes. 

Can anyone point me to some official information on these options?  I requested a brochure from nuCamp and all I got back was a dealer referral and the promise of more junk mail.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited August 2019
    @klenger I bet some fine folks on this forum can give you specific model number for the 3-way, and the model for the AC/DC is the Norcold NR751BB.
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    I don't know the temp during this test, but this video shows days on battery alone. https://youtu.be/saNx9s-gDWY
     I watched that video and found that it leaves a lot of to be desired from a scientific point of view. 

(1) The device the man was using is just a simple volt meter calibrated to convert to % of charge.  Not the same as a real battery monitor. 

(2) No mention of the outdoor and/or indoor temperatures to determine the kind of loading placed on the fridge.

(3) No mention of what the fridge inside temperatures were at any time, so you have no idea of how well the fridge was actually performing.  

It seems to me that the recorded run times are way too optimistic.  Don't get me wrong, I want that fridge in my 400 should I buy one, but have no expectations of 4 days of battery life when running it. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
    edited August 2019
    Our 400 with the 2 way fridge has performed very well in 80+ degree temperatures and our factory solar will maintain the batteries indefinitely as long as there is moderate to full sun. The TV maintains the batteries while traveling with fridge on without issue as opposed to my former Camper with a 3 way fridge.  We are very happy with the fridge and couldn’t imagine doing without the closet. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    +2 with @DenisP. And I fulltime, so gives even more credence to the fact that the two-way with solar is great. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    +3, we are 1st season on 400 with 2 way, around 40 nights and no issue with fridge in keeping cold in warm temps. We also have the factory solar, and with that I feel you could go indefinitely.