Options

Distance From Back of Front Tub to Center of Ball Socket--T@B 400

I have seen several threads of people mounting a Lund or DeeZee aluminum box in place of the plastic or aluminum factory tub.  I think a rectangular box would be more useful than the half round tub.  However, since I do not have my T@B 400 as yet (and thus cannot run out and measure for myself), I need to know the distance from the rear of the tub to the center of the ball socket on the hitch.  I intend to mount a Lund or DeeZee box but now wonder if that will interfere with attaching the the Weight Distributing hitch.  If anyone has those dimensions handy I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    I am going to do some cleaning on mine tomorrow.  Will get that measurement.  From what I've read the isdie is finding a box high enough to close over the lp tank.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Thank you, I appreciate it.  I think I have found an appropriate sized box but I need to confirm the dimensions.  Confounding the issue is an older Worthington aluminum LP tank I would like to use.  I think it is bigger than a 20 lb tank but not as big as a 30 lb tank.  I don't think there are any sizes between the two, though!
  • Options
    Measuring from the back of the box along the A frame mine is 47" to the center of the hitch socket.  that would be for equalizing hitch brackets.  Measuring from the center of the front of the camper, to the rear of the tongue jack I have 24.5" for some kind of replacement box/ bin.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    BigGrover said:
    Measuring from the back of the box along the A frame mine is 47" to the center of the hitch socket.  that would be for equalizing hitch brackets.  Measuring from the center of the front of the camper, to the rear of the tongue jack I have 24.5" for some kind of replacement box/ bin.
    @BigGrover--Is that 24.5" from the front of the camper across the tub to the back of the tongue jack or is it from the front of the tub to the tongue jack?
  • Options
    That's from the front of the camper and across the tub to the tongue jack crank head.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Let me know what you find that works.  I want to convert my bin too.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    OK, it will be awhile since I don't actually have a T@B 400 in my hands yet.  I would rather have a more rectangular aluminum aftermarket tub than either the plastic or aluminum factory tub.  24.5" sorta limits what boxes are can be used--and makes it tricky to install a WD hitch system.
  • Options
    What are you using for a tow vehicle?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    2011 Ford Super Duty 6.2 liter gas engine.  I am guessing that should have enough oomph!
  • Options
    You definitely won't need an equalizing hitch.  I pulled mine with a Nissan Frontier and didn't use one.  Now I use a Ram 1500 and sure don't need one.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Tongue weight on mine fully loaded is 345 lbs
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    I don't think so either.  However I already have it from another trailer and thought I might as well use it.  If nothing else it will help control the trailer in the winds we get out here in west Texas.  It likely won't fit though so I'll probably give it up.
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Tow ours with a Nissan Frontier also, had no problem with the winds other than a strong head wind that ate up the fuel.  For awhile this summer everytime we got out it seemed to be windy.  We are in Oklahoma so we do get some winds west quite a bit.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Around here the saying is that "there is nothing between Canada and Mexico to slow the wind down but a few barb wire fences--and most of those have blown away."
  • Options
    I'd say try it without the equalizing hitch first.  Yor truck is heavy enough to handle any sway if it occurs.  If there's not enough room fir the hitch brackets you might be able to install a anti sway bar. The Andersen equalizing hitch that uses the chain method might fit.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    BigGrover--Right you are.  I probably don't need it all.  We'll see how it goes.

• Options
    treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    We just towed ours with 20mph head winds and crosswinds (2018 4runner).  
    Used a sway control bar and I was pleased with how it towed.

I would not add any extra weight to the tounge with larger boxes.  There is probably a reason nucamp put the batteries in the back.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I just removed a WDH from my Tab 400 with Tundra 5.7l TV.  I viewed a YouTube link on the forum which gave a compelling argument of not using a WDH on a heavier TV and a light single axle trailer.  The WDH’s weight transfer to the trailer axle potentially creates an overweight condition which can damage the axle.
    We then towed the 400 to the 1000 islands camping for a 750 mile round trip which was smooth despite strong cross winds and no anti sway bar. IMHO you should be fine without the WDH. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    I have a GM Sierra and t@b 400 and do not use a WDH-i asked at the dealer when i bought it and they said for the size and weight of my vehicle it wasn't necessary-seems very stable so far-but I have not been in mountains or out west-we were at the beach last weekend and it was quite breezy-up to 40 mph winds-but had died down by the time we left. But i didn't sleep well because of hearing the wind and worrying-Kay
  • Options
    I have revised my plan!  I don't think the WD hitch will be necessary so I just ordered the diamond pattern front tub.  It is sturdier than the plastic tub and slightly larger.  Turns out my truck has a "sway control" feature when in tow-haul mode.  I don't know how effective it is but apparently it selectively applies rear wheel brakes when it senses sway.  Interesting!  We'll see.  I also discovered (marvelous what you can learn when you read the owners manual and play with the buttons) that the truck has a feature to track the number of miles a particular trailer has been towed.  Now I just have to remember to activate all these features when I pull out on a trip. 
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    my truck also came with the towing package and has that when in tow mode