Options

400 sanitizing question

I’ve read the manual and other forum posts re: sanitizing water system and I am still confused. We recently filled the empty water tank (we are in area hit by Hurricane Florence and our local water utility said they were in danger of shutting off water supply so we filled up tab tank as a back up supply). Now would like to sanitize in advance of a pending camping trip.

question 1: tank is full. Do we really have to empty it, put in bleach solution and then fill it again to start sanitizing process?

question 2: which valves on Alde system need to be closed during the sanitizing process? Manual says nothing about bypassing alde, but other forum posts say close Alde valves to prevent bleach solution from entering Alde system.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    edited October 2018
    Question 1:
    No, but I would drain a gallon or two out so you have room to add the bleach solution.  Just mix up your bleach solution into a gallon of water and pour it into the tank, then top off with fresh water.  Let the tank sit for about an hour, then turn on your pump and pump water through each faucet until you smell bleach.  Then let the entire system sit for a couple of hours, or overnight, to properly sanitize.

Question 2:
    I don't have the 400 diagram, but to bypass the Alde you have to turn the hot water valve to the off position, turn the cold water valve to the off position, and then open the bypass valve.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    The 400 has a separate bypass valve as I recall.  You do need to bypass as bleach does not play nice with the stainless steel of the Alde.  Someone suggested other products to use such as vinegar that do not require bypass, however, I can not confirm the effectiveness.  If you drink cold water from the fresh tank, maybe best to use bleach.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio