Options

First Timer!

KiddydocKiddydoc Member Posts: 15

My name is Victor and I am from Rhode Island and this is my first post on the forum.  My wife and I are close to placing an order for a T@B trailer, but have a few questions that experienced T@B owners may be able to answer for us.  We plan to tow with a Subaru Outback and will install an electric brake controller on the trailer, probably a Prodigy RF.  We are deciding between the L and the Q floorplans  as we don't want the wetbath.  Any experience with either of those models.  We're both pretty short so we can sleep on the bed in the L model crosswise with room to spare.  Is the extra storage on the L model very functional and worth the trade off for the smaller bed?  Any thoughts on getting the heat pump vs straight A/C.  Most of our camping will be in the northeast or midatlantic area. Any other must have options/equipment/gadgets/ supplies etc for first timers?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    We chose the Q plan over the L because of the additional counter top space (no regrets)  :D
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    We've got a T@B-C so we've got the outdoor kitchen and no wet bath. The bed in our model is crosswise and we're good with it although Steve is 6"0". We opted for both the propane furnace and the heat pump. Turns out we use the propane heater or a small ceramic electric heater that we plug in inside the cabin of the T@B. If we had it to do again we'd get the straight A/C. Stay in touch...we'll be in the northeast later this summer.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Welcome aboard Victor!

Same as Neil, we like the extra counter space as opposed to the extra storage space.  It really depends on how you plan to use the T@B, and if you plan to do a lot of inside cooking.  If you plan to do a lot of outside cooking, you may even want to consider a clam shell without the wet bath.

We sleep crosswise as well and have no problem.

As Karen mentioned, we have also found the propane heater or a small ceramic heater to be better options for heat then the heat pump, both are effective and make less noise.  The heat pump does work well in heating the T@B, but not when it gets below freezing.  We too would go with a regular AC were we to do it again.

Good luck on your search.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Like Cyclonic said, the heat pump isn't as effective in really cold temps (and is about 40% louder than the furnace) and the propane furnace is just the opposite .... it'll roast you in short order. The vents for the furnace are directly under the center of the bed when you have the bed in the fully utilized mode and it was like being on a griddle. We ran the furnace for about 5 minutes at the lowest setting and had to turn it off. The small ceramic heaters seem to be the best option for just the right amount of warmth with the least amount of noise. However, I like the peace of mind knowing that we can be as warm as a pig on a rotisserie should we be anywhere without shore power in sub freezing temps.
  • Options
    We got our ceramic heater at Home Depot also and we absolutely love it .... best $18 we've spent so far. It's about 9 inches tall or so and I like the fact that it cycles ON and OFF since it will use less electricity that way. We also use it at home when Columbia is in storage to control the amount of expansion and contraction on those below freezing nights. At the heat setting shown in the top view (maybe 30%) that's enough to keep the T@B in the high 50's when the outside temp is in the mid 30's. It runs for 5 or 10 minutes every hour and is extremely quiet. It stores easily in the lower cabinet in our T@B along with our cookware. We love it  :D

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    How do you guys like the beds in the T@B's?  Are they firm enough and is there a way to compensate for sleeping firmness, etc. being that you are using the cushions from the benches?   Have always wondered about this and have certainly heard no complaints from anyone thus far.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    We use two twin toppers.  Hubby sleeps on a 2.5" memory foam, and I sleep on a fiber topper.  Using twins is easier to move about, and when I'm solo I can leave one behind.  During the day in our "Q" model, I slide his memory foam partially up the back wall (we leave the sofa back in down position).  It looks somewhat like a futon mattress during the day.  Here is a sloppy photo, but you get the idea...
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    edited March 2014
    We picked up a cheap 2 inch Queen mattress topper along the way at Wallymart for around $38 and it's just enough to smooth over the cushion separations and add just enough additional softness. I would describe the bed to be a bit on the firm side, but many people including myself prefer it that way. It also helps that there is a full width storage bin at the end of the bed that the mattress topper rolls up and fits in nicely. As you know Mike, we have a full queen bed in the back of the truck (two 9 inch thick futon mattresses) to sleep in if we chose to and sometimes it's hard to decide since we have a two bedroom T@B   :D
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Mike, I find the mattress to be on the firm side.  But it's pretty easy to conform it to your individual taste by adding a foam pad or mattress topper in whatever thickness your heart desires.  :x   I bought a king-size 1-1/2 inch foam pad at Bed Bath & Beyond, which when doubled, is twin-size and fits nicely across the back to sleep crosswise.  I think the cushions need to be on the firm side to retain their shape when made up in the "sitting" position.  I have no complaints!

I-)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Beth makes a good point about the foam density in the cushions as they have to perform "double duty". I actually think they're too soft for my big butt when I'm sitting on them  >:)
  • Options
    There was a couple who replaced the cushion foam with memory foam.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    TABaker said:
    There was a couple who replaced the cushion foam with memory foam.
    Wouldn't they smoosh down too much when you sit on them ?  I was thinking of doing the opposite and replacing the foam with a higher density product.  I like your "semi-zebra print" cushion covers Crystal. We're not crazy about the stock pattern on ours and are thinking of getting them redone somewhere down the road (possibly with a solid color that matches better).
  • Options
    Having not personally seen them, I don't know. I remember reading it on the Yahoo forum. The zebra print is a slipcover I had made locally so I can remove to wash. Only afterward did I realize they're to be dry cleaned. Oops. Had to get something that also goes with our Packer fall decor. Lol thanks for the compliment. I can see a reupholster in my future though.

• Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    Hi Victor, I ordered my T@B with the L floorplan specifically because it had the same amount of counter space as the Q, but it has more storage with floor to ceiling cabinets in the back and the bed is then crosswise.  All that cabinet space in the back is awesome.  In the lower half, I can store my inflatable kayak and all its gear under the removable shelves!  The top half has cabinet doors and I keep all my bedding, and personal stuff I keep in there all the time with room to spare.  I am 5'6" and have plenty of stretching out room in the bed with 4 inches to spare. (bed length is 70")  So to answer your question, yes I think the additional storage was a great tradeoff for the smaller bed.  I'll post a couple pics that show the back cabinets and all the counter space. Love all that counter space!!   A couple are pics I took when I picked T@b up from the dealer.  The others were taken after I had been camping and traveling through Northern ARK for over two weeks.  It was getting a bit messy by that point.  :)
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I'm so envious of all the storage space in your T@B, June.  But I opted for the S model with wetbath, and I don't regret it, as I will be boondocking a lot here in Colorado. My breaking point was last summer when I was tent camping on the Grand Mesa for 5 days and I had to drive 40 miles for a shower.  The campground listed that it had showers, but when I got there they were not in service. It was 45 degrees after the sun went down at 8:00 p.m., and it was VERY cold trying to have a G.I. shower, if you know what I mean.  I'll just have to be thrifty with what I take along.  I'm a seasoned backpacker, so I should be able to make do with less space.  Who knows, maybe in 5 years I'll change my mind and get a T@DA?????? #:-S
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    edited March 2014

• Options
    Jbug, through the years we really haven't seen many T@Bs with your floor plan.  I know I would love the back storage space and easy access to items.  However, when solo I sleep wheel to wheel, partially under the upper cabinets, and so my bed is basically in place all day.  I also really like the fabric on your cushions.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    edited March 2014
    Great pictures jbug10  ;)  We actually didn't get to order ours specifically but called around to dealers to see what kind of inventory they had and what they were willing to let one go for. Of the two options we had, we picked the Q plan because of the counter space over whatever the other option was. We still had to drive 200 miles each way to get to the dealer. The Q plan has the forward facing seat back which lays flat when you configure the queen bed and it has a locking tilt position at about 45 degrees which makes it really comfy to lay back and watch movies (the angle is just right)  :D
  • Options

Yes T@baker I would like to have a dedicated bed as well as a sitting space, but would still want the L plan. That's why I can't wait to see the new 400!!!!!!!  One of the great things about ordering a T@b is that you get to pick out everything you want like the fabric.  I also special ordered the front window. LOVE the front window!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Jbug, I agree about the front window.  Love, love, love mine.  We were going to look at a T@B in PA the year we bought ours.  It was a 8-hour drive one way.  It didn't have the front window.  The day before we were to leave, the one we eventually purchased was traded at a RV dealer closer to home...5 hours one way.  I'm so glad, because we not only got the window, but my favorite color, too!  I'm anxious to see the larger model, but I don't expect to trade.  We would've missed this view of Lambeau Field.... lol

• Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Hi All,

Here's our take on the cushions question. We keep our bed made up and do our dining and sitting out under the awning. We've found that the seat cushions are not as comfortable a mattress as we would like even with a memory foam topper. After two months in it last summer and one month in it recently, we developed depressions in the seat cushions where our hips go. 

We had new custom mattresses made at the local alterations/custom sewing shop. Ultimately we got two mattresses of 4" mattress grade foam with 3" memory foam topper each with their own cover and their own fitted sheet. 

Now we can stack the two mattresses one on top of the other at the rear of the cabin without having to totally unmake the bed. Then we can use the table and half the bench seating on rainy days. 

It was a little bit of a pricey solution but since we plan on living in this gypsy wagon for months on end, we thought that our sleeping comfort was worth it.

Happy Trails,
    Steve & Karen
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400