Options

Prodigy RF brake controller setting recommendation?

mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
edited November 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
I am picking up my T@b this weekend.   I got a prodigy RF with it.   to those that are also using the RF unit,  do you have Boost on or off?  my understanding is the the unit set to B1 from the factory 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    The instructions recommended against the use of the Boost for a trailer the weight of the 320.  Ours is off.  Depending on the size/weight of your tow vehicle, you may find the brakes are fine with a lower setting.  It takes some use to figure out what setting is best.  When we first started towing, we noticed a significant grabbing and adjusted them downward.  Towing with our minivan, we have ours set at 3 or 4.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @mreric, I tow with a relatively large, heavy vehicle and did not use the boost the first couple thousand miles. But we were out west, crossing mountain ranges with steep grades and sharp switchbacks, so began using the boost setting. I am west again and crossing mountains at present. I am at the B1 setting, but low braking adjustment of 2. I will recommend that you wear in the brakes before going to the boost setting, but always do what feels best and safest to you. What is posted here are at most guidelines. Congrats on the trailer!  Good luck. Enjoy!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    What model do you recommend that isn’t hardwired into the vehicle?
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    ColleenD2 said:
    What model do you recommend that isn’t hardwired into the vehicle?
    The Prodigy RF isn't hardwired into the your vehicle and the vehicle half communicates wirelessly with the trailer half of the Prodigy RF. It's worked well for me in my 2013 Highlander towing a 400, although sometimes I can lose the wireless connection when I'm in areas that are saturated with wireless signals.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    That’s what we need.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    I think the Bluetooth models definitely have the "cool" factor, but I personally don't like having to look and aim at a screen when I want to press a button while driving. The Prodigy RF has nice simple controls with a dial and a big button I can use to manually activate the trailer brakes if needed -- without taking my eyes off the road.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD