Options

2017 + Nissan Pathfinder

Hello -  Is anyone towing a Tab 400 with a 2017 or new Nissan Pathfinder?  We are looking for a new tow vehicle and this one is attractive as it has the best tow rating in the mid sized SUV class - 6000 lbs.  However, it seem that its HP and torque are similar to those w/ 1000 lbs less in towing capabilities.

Thank you!
soon to have 2020 T@B 400
2019 Ford F-150

Comments

• Options
    George101George101 Member Posts: 48
    Doesn't it have the CVT transmission?  Those worry me with towing.

Google nissan cvt transmission problems.
  • Options
    SeattleAlanSeattleAlan Member Posts: 24
    It sure does.  Worries me too.
    2019 Ford F-150

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    They also have frount wheel drive (in the 2 wheel drive version) which concerns me. The Frountier seems to be a better option with the 4 liter engine but gas mileage is not so good.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Amen to the Frontier fuel Mileage.  Had a 07 pathfinder and liked it.  The new ones are unit body and I like having a truck frame.  The Frontier would be my choice between the two.  We have the 16 Frontier and it works with the 400 !
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    I had a 2014 pathfinder with towing package. it will pull the trailer just fine. The CVT transmission is not an issue. In 2014 the rear suspension was a little soft but I think they have stiffened it since then. MPG is average with what you will see posted here. I was pulling 2016 tab css loaded and on flat no wind ground would get 15mpg. I am now using Chvy Colorado with the 2.8 l turbo diesel which is a lot better but the Pathfinder was fine

• Options
    Mark_and_SueMark_and_Sue Member Posts: 11
    We tow a T@b 400 with a 2017 Pathfinder. It has done a very good job and no issues. I have seen at least one other person on here who has the same. 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    We tow a T@b 400 with a 2017 Pathfinder. It has done a very good job and no issues. I have seen at least one other person on here who has the same. 
    What sort of gas mileage do you guys get? Is your Pathfinder 2 or 4 wheel drive? Curious because I am soon going to buy a new TV. I have looked at both the Pathfinder and Frountier.
  • Options
    Ours is the 4 wheel drive. Towing mpg depends on wind and hills. We get between 12 and 15. However, when not towing we can get up to 24 mpg. 
  • Options
    if you considering a truck the chevy colorado does a very nice job with either engine

• Options
    Thanks Mark, Sue and Tabnero. Raining here today so may check out the Colorado.
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    JustJohn said:
    While looking at the Colorado, I'm sure the sales associate will point out the great deals they have on the Silverado right now as well. 

Any time I went to look at the Colorado or Canyon, they tried to push me towards a full size truck.  Once my wife started pushing as well (she thought the big truck was more comfortable), I eventually gave in.  Now I have 383 pound feet of torque to tow my T@b 320!
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @rkj__ a buddy has the Colorado with gas engine, he really likes it. He told me today on the full size GM's, the difference in fuel mileage between the two V8's offered is advertised as 1MPG, so might as well go for the big HP/TQ :) sometimes you don't really get better mileage with a smaller engine, especially towing or loaded when you tend to get way less percentage wise than a bigger displacement engine.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Really Like my Colorado V6.  Pulls a 320 great.
    For me full-size pickups are just too big. Colorado is as big as my 1990 full-size F150 was . . .
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    on the full size GM's, the difference in fuel mileage between the two V8's offered is advertised as 1MPG, so might as well go for the big HP/TQ :) sometimes you don't really get better mileage with a smaller engine, especially towing or loaded when you tend to get way less percentage wise than a bigger displacement engine.
    It's not that simple unfortunately.  GM restricts the 6.2L V8 to the higher trim level trucks.  So, you can't get it in a $45,000 truck.  Also, they recommend a higher grade fuel on the 6.2L, so even if the fuel consumption is the same, the fuel cost is higher. 

It's often true that the smaller displacement engines see a larger drop in fuel economy when towing.  Looking through the fuel economy thread, it seems like most vehicles get near 16 mpg when towing a T@b 320, whether it be a turbo 4 cyl in a small crossover, or a V8 in a full size pickup.  The larger vehicles often have a larger fuel tank, which yields more driving range between fuel stops, which is really nice. 
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I bought a 2016 Nissan Fontier SV 4x4  V6 w/tow pkg used end of last year.  Dealer wanted it off the lot for new inventory, so I kept an eye on the price & towards the end of November, early December went in & worked a screaming deal.  I have only towed a popup with it, but it is rated for 6,500.  It has more than enough power for a popup or 320S and should also be OK for the 400. 
    I also looked & researched the Chevy Colorado, but it did not have very good reviews for the first year that the new "smart" tranny came out--many complaints especially from people towing a trailer that on long mountain pulls it would downshift on it's own way too soon. 
    I'm very happy so far with the Frontier-- has pleny of power & rides nice--only con so far I would say is the gas mileage--I thought it would get better---I'm not impressed, but it is what it is. . . . .I don't even get as good as my last vehicle--Ford Escape V6 4x4. 
    If I get my wish & am able to get my dream of a little Tab 320S my gas mileage will probably be worse.   I'm only getting 14-15 in town back & forth short trips to work.  So it's not great.  I was on a kind of strict budget for the vehicle and was thinking ahead for towing something like the 320S.   I also wanted to be able to keep my vehicle in the garage and that wasn't going to happen with a bigger truck!
    If you go with any one of the smaller trucks you will be limited to what you can tow, of course.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    JustJohn said:
    you might want to check out Costco Car buying program till the end of the year. You can get supplier pricing and any other incentive offered by gm stacked on top. I have owned both and the Colorado is superior in towing and loading stuff. I have hard side trifold top that I can stand on. If I want to add a rack for my kayaks I can. The pathfinder is beautiful and finished very nicely and works well if taking people with you is the primary use. The crew cab colorado is comfortable and rugged. Love the diesel
  • Options
    Mark and Sue - Great to hear real hand experience w/ the Pathfinder and Tab 400.  Do you have much sag?  Are you using a load leveling hitch?  Are you running at higher RPM's when towing?  Many thanks!
    2019 Ford F-150

• Options
    atlasb said:
    Amen to the Frontier fuel Mileage.  Had a 07 pathfinder and liked it.  The new ones are unit body and I like having a truck frame.  The Frontier would be my choice between the two.  We have the 16 Frontier and it works with the 400 !

atlasb---Have you done any long steep mountain climbs with the Frontier towing the 400?    Like in Colorado?  Am interested to know if you have to downshift manually very much and were you able to keep up a reasonable speed?  I always tow with the overdrive off, of course.  I have a 2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4.

Woohoo!
  • Options
    We are also considering the Colorado w/ diesel too.  It appears to be a tow monster!  A pretty cool comparison of the gas vs the diesel here:  

https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/02/2017-chevy-colorado-v6-8-speed-vs-gmc-canyon-diesel-ike-gauntlet-towing-review-video/

But, my wife likes the comfort and flexibility of an SUV.  So, I'm researching the Pathfinder....
    2019 Ford F-150

• Options
    @rkj__ wasn't aware of the trim level restrictions! The Canyon with diesel is right at the $40k mark, just crazy since I bought a fuel size Dodge diesel in late 2000 for about $10k less and way more truck!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    $10k less and way more truck!
    Way more truck is not always a good thing. 

You could say the same about the little T@b 320 many of us love.  You can buy a way bigger trailer for way less money, yet many of us choose to pay more for less space, and love it!
  • Options
    @rkj__ maybe not, but the price they are asking for these mid size trucks is crazy high, little correlation to truck capacity vs cost. I will probably never buy another truck, the old Dodge is solid with 300k on the odo and looks good, so no need to change, especially at the cost.
  • Options
    Mark and Sue - Great to hear real hand experience w/ the Pathfinder and Tab 400.  Do you have much sag?  Are you using a load leveling hitch?  Are you running at higher RPM's when towing?  Many thank

Not much sag. No need for leveling hitch or anti sway bar. The RPM’s go up on hills but otherwise not an issue. Be sure to use the tow mode on the Pathfinder. 
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    IKC001  Have not been into Colorado or any elevations of that size.  We so far have been in Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma.  We pulled the longer grade hills and Have fought head winds a lot this past season.  The Frontier has stayed in the battle and like you,   It fits where I want to park it.  I seem to get about the same mileage as the big guys and I feel that it is all relative.  Bigger trucks have more power and torque but also larger size, weight and area for wind.  We pulled a 320 before we got the 400 and I don't really feel much difference.  I think the 400 with it's longer cabin actually pulls better for us.  We have a A.R.E fiber glass shell that is kicked up and that helps to blend the air.  I normally pull around 2200 rpm and that comes in around 62 mph or so.  Have had it up some what more but do not find the need.  The faster you go, the longer it takes to stop!  The Frontier has handled all our needs so far.  I know the Diesels have more torque and that moves the load, but having been around them, not interested in the issues with finding fuel, contaminated fuel, and other maintenance issues that come with them.  You can always get bigger but that seems to escalate to other issues. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    thank you for the info atlasb--not bad at 2200 rpm & 62mph with a headwind on the 400 :)
    Woohoo!