Options

Outdoor camera

ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
edited November 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
Ever since we had coyotes in our campsite one camping trip, I've wanted to install an outside camera to be able to see what's going on without opening the window shades. 
I recently picked up this cam to keep an eye on my 3D printers from another room:
https://www.banggood.com/Digoo-DG-M1Q-960P-2_8mm-Wireless-Mini-WIFI-Night-Vision-Smart-Home-Security-IP-Camera-Onvif-Monitor-p-1123595.html?rmmds=myorder&ID=41903&cur_warehouse=CN

Looks like they went up quite a bit from the $17 I paid - Tarrifs I guess. If you check regularly, the prices fluctuate a lot on sites like this one. 

I liked it because it was accessible on my wifi network without having to use a cloud service. It also has night vision. I used it a couple times on my 3D printer but then had a "wait a minute" moment. I have wifi in my T@b (what? Doesn't everyone?). What if I found a mount to install it outside. So, a quick search of Amazon revealed a suction cup type mount that I adapted. I run the USB power cord in the door (for now) and it connects to my wifi router. I use an app on my phone to access the cam. Voila! Wireless outside cam with night vision. Now, it is not waterproof but that's no big deal out here in AZ most of the time. I'll keep my eye out for a waterproof one in the future. I have about $25 wrapped up in this setup (minus the wifi router). 

The image quality is pretty good. I can even zoom in on my phone and see more detail. Mine even had an SD card in it for video or image capture.

Cool thing is, I can add multiple cams and access them from the same app.

Yes, the date is incorrect in the 2nd pic. Not sure why. I have it set correctly in the cam. 

2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole

Comments