Options

EMF and other health considerations

www.eiwellspring.org/offgrid.html
The above is an attempt to share some information that is out there for electrically or chemically hypersensitive folks.  This is by no means intended to sell any products or for any financial gain.  I think that an unbiased interest in these topics might lead to promotion of better health and may lead to some baby steps to improve one's personal electrical and chemical environment.  There is a wealth of information out there on the net regarding EMF (Electro Magnetic Field) Radiation in general and other safety topics, but not much at all relating to RVing.  I am in the process of looking at my '18 T@b 320S Outback in light of EMFs with a qualified electrician.  

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited December 2018
    The nice thing about RVing is we all often end up in campgrounds without cell coverage.  Getting that strong EMF source put away for a while, and getting off social media for a week or so might be one of the healthiest aspects of RVing. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Bill@ndRoxBill@ndRox Member Posts: 89
    Thanks DougH for your positive comments.  I agree entirely and am looking for many ways to "get away" from RF, cell phone signals, WiFi, and the like.  A necessary evil at times, but I think awareness of how we can cut back and go "back to nature" will be helpful.  I want to make sure to really "get away" when I'm out in my beautiful little escape pod with my honey, and to sleep so well in other environments away from all the electrons and pollutants.  I'm using my airplane mode on my cell phone a lot and turning off the WiFi at night as a start.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @Bill@ndRox, I'm curious what constitutes a qualified electrician, and what you expect one might do for you?  I see lots of gauss meters available on Amazon, but skeptical about their utility.  Here's what the World Health Organization says about EMF..
    https://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/index1.html

As far as cell phones go, and the weak signals we often experience at campgrounds, remember that cell phones may deal with weak signals by boosting the strength of their own radio transmitter, which may increase your exposure. 

I prefer to employ a common sense approach when using things like cell phones & microwave ovens (where space is your friend), and see no reason for concern about our T@B.  But if you are concerned about EMF, then maybe using only 12V DC, solar power, propane, and little or no AC power might reduce your worry.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Thanks BrianZ.  I'll put this WHO info into perspective.  For my purposes an electrician needs to be licensed and insured but also have a strong interest in electrical safety, and an open mind to look out of the box on how we can protect ourselves in light of rapidly emerging technologies.  I agree with the common sense approach to all of this.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I don't see any more EMF exposure in a trailer than your house. An electrician probably isn't what you need for evaluation, a RF engineer or something on that order might be able to do an analysis.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Thanks, and yes, I know about Building Biologists and EMF Consultants and engineers.  I've been attending an online EMF Summit the past 5 days and gathering more knowledge.  Trying to glean info about EMF/RF and apply to RV life on the road.  Will be using my Trifield TF2 meter soon in and around my T@b 320S Outback.  I'm not anticipating any surprises.
    https://emfhealthsummit.com/go-2-h2-a/ 
    https://www.powerwatch.org.uk/science/guidetoemfs.asp
  • Options
    I have a couple inexpensive meters since I used to work in a lab with strong sources.  I'll see if devices like the Cornet ED88 electrosmog meter picks up anything in our T@B too.

http://www.radmeters.com/Cornet-ED88T-esh.html

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Sounds good.  My meter should arrive tomorrow.  With different brand meters, we'll get different readings, but for comparison I'll make sure I'm controlling for variables as much as I can.  I'm most interested to see what the stock inverter reads, the Jensen, the AC, the fridge, and the Alde, the solar stuff, as well as most everything electrical. I don't get my Greenwave Dirty Electricity filters til Christmas week.  I'll try to make a chart to note what I find.  It'll be interesting to compare notes.  Thanks,  Bill

• Options
    I PM'ed you my results.

• Options
    jeanmarie37jeanmarie37 Member Posts: 2
    I am chemically sensitive, and so I appreciate that you initiated the discussion about EMF. While I haven't had issues with EMF specifically, I am always interested in what others have learned. Like most things, folks don't really understand a debilitating problem until it is happening to them. 
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Are there EMF profiles and overlaid transportation maps available that would facilitate route planning?