Options

Winterizing In California

DcarltonDcarlton Member Posts: 19
Winterizing in California Seriously though, it got down to 28 last night. I was a little worried. All I did was drain the water tank, plug it in, and turn on the Alde. All seems to be well.  We are experiencing a fairly uncommon “hard freeze.”  I think the fact that it only gets that cold for a couple of hours is helpful.  It was 65 during the day today. It’s not supposed to be as cold tonight. I’m going out in the Tab next week so I guess I will find out if there are any Ill effects.

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,507
    @Dcarlton
    Where are you? That looks like a sweet spot.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    DcarltonDcarlton Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2019
    That’s Morro Bay in the picture.  I live in the Central Valley near Fresno/Visalia.  That’s where it’s cold!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There was a hard freeze last night here in Southern AZ last night (it only got down to 33* according to my thermometer) with another one forecasted for tonight.

If it is only going under freezing (32*F) for a few hours overnight, it should be OK.

Precautions I have taken are: I made a tent over the water faucet connection using Reflectex and the silver tape, I taped Reflectex around the hose at the water inlet, along with the squishy pipe insulation) and used the silver tape to secure it. 

Other ways to help: keep a water dripping from your kitchen faucet, IF you have a way to feed a gray tank hose into a sewer or another appropriate disposal tank, turn the water faucet off at the inlet, keep the Alde running on heat all night with the cabinets open that have water lines in them, and if you have the T@B 320, keep the shower door open to allow warm air to circulate. You can also remove the cushions over the Alde (320) to allow warm air to circulate there. 

If you have a way to keep the incoming water hose off the cold ground or solid surface, that would be a great idea. I did buy one of those heated water hoses, but since I Camp without electricity, I’m not using it, 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    I also live in Riverside County in CA.  It has been cold hear as well with temps last night to 29 degrees.  Warmer last night.  I leave the T@B plunged in and the heat on.  I’ve done this the last two years and have had no plumbing problems.  But I am in the “flat lands” of CA where it is only below freezing a couple hours at a time.

Verna has great advise to protect you.  If it’s going to be a prolonged period below freezing follow her advice.  I know it can be that way in Fresno.  I’m always consulting with my weather app to monitor the forecast.  I live near orchards and the last few nights their fans were blowing from about 11pm till a little past dawn.  So far here it has only been below freezing for one or two hours at a time.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max