Options

6 volt batteries and propane dog bowl

PedlinPTPedlinPT Member Posts: 10
edited January 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
After our trip up to Vermont last Fall, we knew it was necessary to increase our "off the grid" capabilities. Hours of research and nearly reaching the end of the internet, my DW suggest's perhaps we can place the pair of batteries inside the stock TAB storage area and relocate the propane.
Low and behold, the TAB comes with dual battery trays from the factory (my life just got easier). A trip down to the local Tractor Supply for some Diamond Plate and a Stainless steel dog dish along with threaded rod, plastic tubing and associated hardware.
Aluminum Diamond plate was cut to match up with the trailer tongue A frame, stainless steel dog dish bowl secured to the diamond plate with drain holes included. Threaded rod installed on both sides of the bottle with plastic tubing over the threaded portion to prevent chaffing of the tank during transport.
The metal hold down piece is from electrical conduit support available at Lowes/Home Depot, the Rubber bumpers are from a tractor.
Between the dog dish bowl securing the base of the propane tank and the upper rubber bumper/conduit bracket, the tank is secure.

I noticed the 4 inch gap between the battery trays, we have a Weber BBQ grill that could be tied into the TAB propane tank, that's on the back burner for now (no pun intended), I had installed a PVC fence post on the tongue to carry sewer hose and had an extra piece that I cut to fit within the area between the batteries, secured to the battery tray structure and drilled two (2) 4" holes for transport of small propane bottles that can easily be removed and installed for use.

Excuse the tie wraps on the bike rack, it was getting too cold to complete the trailer mod yesterday.

Pete

EDITED FOR PICTURE RESIZING

Comments

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Nice job.  Unfortunately for me, I plan to use the forward location for a Honda EU2200i generator and LowPro LockDown tray.  My solution is to put a 60' wide Weatherguard tool chest on the a-frame for the battery and LP, and whatever else will fit.  I do like the 1# LP bottle holders too.

Which model T@B is that?  320 or 400?
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @klenger, looks like it is an older model 320S. The two round vents in the front are indicative of an early 2017 or older. That is the norcold intake and exhaust. The new model fridge was installed by nüCamp beginning July of 2016. 2017 model year production began approx April, 2016.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Nice. I'll have to consider this if I ever make the leap to two batteries. My spare tire is in that spot now, but I could go with a side mount like you have. My 2015 doesn't have quite the same framing arrangement in the tub, but I'm sure I could rig up something that would work.
    I imagine fashion conscious types could even find or make a cover to go over the tank.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PedlinPTPedlinPT Member Posts: 10
    Its a 2017 320S
    My wife really wanted the CS model but I'm a little too tall for that design unless I use a stool for my pillow in the doorway.
    We pull it with a Subaru Ascent and love the mods we have done for sleeping with the table still set up between us.