Options

Purchasing from another state question?

If you purchase from a private seller in another state, what do you do about a temporary license plate while you tow your unit home?  
2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    Have you checked with the seller's state DMV?  This is a common transaction, I bet they cover it on their web site.  (Your state should, too).

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2019
    I agree w/ @pthomas745 - check with your state's Motor Vehicle Department. I'd think they'd be able to provide you with a temporary plate.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I bought my T@B from out of state, (from a dealer), and didn't worry about a tag, just registered when I got home. I think the bill of sale should be sufficient.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    brooksdmbrooksdm Member Posts: 11
    I did the same thing as @Mouseketab.  Although I bought our trailer in the same state, it was registered out of state and had Minnesota license plates.  The guy took them off before we drove off with the trailer.  Had the Bill of Sale with us, of course, and registered our trailer the very next morning.  
    2016 T@B Max CS-S, 2017 Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Dealers should provide a temporary plate so you can drive the camper off the lot. For private sales, you might be able to get a temporary transfer plate from your municipality. I don't imagine it makes any difference either way if you are bringing the trailer across state lines.
    Of course, every state has it's own laws, so if you want to be sure you're covered do as others have suggested and check with your own. Either way, I'm not sure I would just assume that going without a plate is going to be okay everywhere.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    I bought mine in Pennsylvania and went to dmv before it left the dealership

I may have wasted money by getting some temporary tags but I didn’t want to worry about getting pulled over
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I believe dealers do a temp tag as part of the deal, that is specifically in my dealer price. Usually a 30 day tag to get you home. Private party you would be on your own to take care of that.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite