320-CS (Clamshell) refrigerator condensation causing moisture on inside wall and bed cushion

This topic has been discussed on Facebook, but I thought that I would summarize here, along with my latest permanent (I hope!) "fix".  Our 2018 320-CS has the 2-way Norcold fridge (no propane).
  • There is a cold refrigerant line on the back of the fridge.  
  • The line is insulated, but it does protrude about 1/4" from the back of the fridge.  (some type of neoprene foam)
  • The cabinet cavity for the fridge is tight, almost touching the back of the fridge.
  • There is a layer of aluminized "bubble pack" insulation, but I question its effectiveness.
  • The cold conducts through the back wall to the bench/bed cushion, adding more insulation. (In this case this is bad)
  • We tend to leave the fridge on all season, ready for the next trip. (this doesn't help either)
  • We also live in a humid climate (Kentucky).   
  • Several people have seen cold, dampness and mold on the inside back wall, right next to the cushion, directly behind the back of the fridge.

I talked to NuCamp last year, but Austin said that he had not heard of this issue.  At that time I added some more high-performance neoprene insulation tape to the back of the refrigerator.  That seemed to solve the problem.  Unfortunately, the end of this camping season, I discovered the problem was still there.  I discussed with NuCamp warranty.  They admitted that the cabinet has been changed to add additional rear clearance for the fridge.  They also added lower ventilation to the the fridge cavity.   

To add clearance, I spaced the refrigerator out an additional 3/4".  I modified the metal trim ring of the fridge to allow it to be mounted 3/4" toward the rear of the fridge, yet still look nice.
  • Notch the lower flange on each side to clear the lower fridge brackets
  • 2 holes 5/32" on each side mount the bezel to the fridge.  (I wanted to use the existing holes through the fridge)
  • 2 holes 5/8" on each side allow the mounting screws to pass from the inside of the fridge to the cabinet
  • NOTE!  ENSURE THAT THE MOUNTING SCREWS WILL SCREW IN THE CABINET, WHEN REINSTALLING YOUR FRIDGE.  YOU MAY NEED TO ANGLE THE SCREWS SLIGHTLY BACK, SO YOU DON'T HAVE SCREW THREADS BREAKING THROUGH THE FRONT OF YOUR KITCHEN CABINET.
  • Note (little note)  There is 1 small flathead screw on each side.  Those screws won't be used.  (You may want to fill the hole with black silicone)
I added 1" of high-density foam to the back of the fridge.  I also cut a groove to not compress the rubber insulation around the cold pipe.  (Compressed insulation doesn't insulate well)
I also added a sheet-metal "heat spreader" to the outside of the recently added foam.

Here's the back of the fridge with my original neoprene insulation, that didn't work all that well.

Here's the original fridge mounting. 

Here's the foam, ready to install.  (I did seal the foam with silicone between the new foam and the steel back of the fridge.  I stayed away from the cold pipe and its insulation.

Here's the back of the fridge with the foam and heat spreader attached to the fridge.

Here's the side view of the bezel, before I re-drilled the holes:

Here's the new fridge mounting.

I will also be adding the vent under the fridge, at a later date.
I hope the pictures help.  I purposely sent low-resolution, to save space.
Yell if you want more ore better pictures.  
T@B: 2018 320-CS Max
TV: 2017 Toyota Highlander

Comments