Options

Brake controller

RaschkoRaschko Member Posts: 22
Could a 2018 ford f150 tow a t@b without electric brakes or brake controller?

Comments

• Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2019
    you could,   you just should not...   by law some states requires them... for safety of all...   brake controller are cheap... not worth the risk
  • Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2019
    Look in the towing section of your owner manual. I’d bet it says for anything over 1000 lbs trailer brakes are recommended and required for anything over 2000 lbs. 
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    If you decide to get one (Yes, you do want one), consider this one. It mounts on the trailer instead of in the tow vehicle.  About $100 more expensive that the dash mounted ones, but the trailer can be towed with any tow vehicle that has the proper 7-pin light connections. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90250.html

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    edited January 2019
    My smaller Nissan Frontier seems more than adequate to control the T@B320 under normal circumstances. So sure--legal requirements aside--you probably can do it, but that doesn't mean you should. The investment in a brake controller is small, and the potential consequences of not having one in that rare moment when you REALLY need it are great.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I agree with Klenger,  the Tekonsha wireless controller is a great way to go.  The unit mounts to the trailer frame, you plug the trailer into the unit, the unit plugs into the vehicle, pare it with the wireless receiver and you are good to go.  I had the Prodigy receiver and it performed flawlessly.  Some vehicles cannot use it and you could find this out.  Having a controller is added safety as it will improve over all braking and will ease wear and tear on your vehicles brakes.  

As noted by others, you CAN pull a 320 without a controller but the heavier weight of this trailer would warrant that you install a controller since the trailer comes equipped with brakes.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    Curt also now makes a wireless Bluetooth one-    no drilling needed.  no mounting needed-   truly plug and play 
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Raschko said:
    Could a 2018 ford f150 tow a t@b without electric brakes or brake controller?
    Don't the new F150s have an integrated trailer brake controller? All the ones I'm pricing online do.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    The factory controller works very well.  Tow package gives you more than just the controller.  
    If you already have a F150 I believe that you can add the factory brake controller.

The Tab won't be much of a load for an F150, but towing without trailer brakes is just asking for trouble.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    What about the new Curt Echo Brake Controller...wireless and just plugs into your 7pin. Its controlled with your phone.  By the way, the brakes still work as previously programmed in the event you lose your phone or it gets eaten by a bear...or your dog.  
  • Options
    RaschkoRaschko Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for all the input. I will be getting a brake controller.