Options

Anyone open to Colorado in June?

I have a 400 live in Naples Florida plan on going to Colorado, looking for a cool as in (temp) to get to.
Mitchell

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I spent the last part of May and June in Colorado in 2016. The spring run off is breathtaking and I highly recommend it. It is much easier to get campsites prior to July 4th. Memorial Day and Fathers Day weekends are busy but other than that, you can have some great scenery without the crowds in June.

The area between Leadville and Salida offer some great boondocking. The Campendium.com website have good details on sites and campgrounds. 

You can pay to dump in Leadville right on the main highway, at several of the NFS campgrounds in Leadville and Twin Lakes, or at the visitor center in Poncha Springs. Potable water is available at Love's in Buena Vista and the visitor center in Buena Vista (please make a donation, inside.)

Late May into early June are a little stormier and the skies can be beautiful and dramatic. Many spots have cell service, but it is spotty. You will not pick up weather radio signal on these areas. 

The library in BV has pretty good wifi. Eddyline Brewery and the Dairy Delight were my favorite eateries.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Anywhere is Summit County (Frisco, Breckenridge, Dillon, Copper Mtn).  Rocky Mtn National Park. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    MewcycleMewcycle Member Posts: 20
    I’ll be in CO in July for the Triple Bypass cycling event. Hopefully will have my T@B or T@G by that time. 🤩
    2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Mewcycle, welcome to the forum! Good luck with the acquisition. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thanks! I think I have found my T@G! Colorado is calling  :)
    2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • Options
    cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    Cheryl and I would be interested in a June outing.

We usually go to Ouray, Silverton, etc.,etc. annually.  An interesting side trip would be the Denver Rio Grande steam train or the Cumbres Toltec Scenic steam train out of Chama. NM (note: these would be full day trips probably needing reservations - if ya go, don't ride in an open car - if ya do, the engine's exhaust smoke will get ya - ask us how we know!!

The million dollar highway offers fantastic scenery for your passenger but as the driver, my eyes are glued to the road - not many guard-rails and it is a long way down if you go off the road!  We have towed our T@B over this road/pass several times without incident.

Also, there are reasonably priced mountain trail tours out of Ouray where they drive and all you have to do is look around and hang-on!  (the wear/tear is on their vehicle)  Note: be prepared for afternoon rains/showers at that elevation.

We would prefer hook-ups since we don't dry camp.  We have had good luck at the KOA in Ouray, but there are other commercial camp grounds around the area.

John

John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    cmac said:
    Cheryl and I would be interested in a June outing.

We usually go to Ouray, Silverton, etc.,etc. annually.  An interesting side trip would be the Denver Rio Grande steam train or the Cumbres Toltec Scenic steam train out of Chama. NM (note: these would be full day trips probably needing reservations - if ya go, don't ride in an open car - if ya do, the engine's exhaust smoke will get ya - ask us how we know!!

The million dollar highway offers fantastic scenery for your passenger but as the driver, my eyes are glued to the road - not many guard-rails and it is a long way down if you go off the road!  We have towed our T@B over this road/pass several times without incident.

I have spent time exploring all those Great places as kid growing up. We had family in Durango and would go camp on what is now Lightner Creek Campground which at the time that stretch belonged to my Uncle. No hookups...just us-n our tent. I can't wait to take the T@B those places.
    And yes, the "smoke and cinders" get you on those open cars. :o
    2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    cmac said:

We would prefer hook-ups since we don't dry camp.  We have had good luck at the KOA in Ouray, but there are other commercial camp grounds around the area.

John

That is a nice KOA. There are some really nice camping options in the San Juand. Truly, something for everyone. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BigBlueBigBlue Member Posts: 14
    Lots of action on Red Mountain Pass lately with the avalanches we've been getting in Colorado (40 feet of snow on parts of Hwy. 550 this weekend and temporarily closed). Such a beautiful part of the state!