Options

Which tire lock do you use and do you like it?

lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
Looking at these two tire locks 1.  $53 on Amazon--Trimax TCL65 Wheel Chock Lock

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031XULF2/?coliid=I2FC8ZLDOEHQRM&colid=10JTC9Y710WAC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it  or 2.  $29 at on Amazon

VaygWay Tire Clamp Wheel Lock- Metal Boot Stabilizer Anti Theft- Wheel Chock

https://www.amazon.com/VaygWay-Automotive-Protective-Towing-Trailer/dp/B06XFPC35H/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=wheel+chock+lock&qid=1551713438&s=automotive&sr=1-20

Opinions please?  Thank you

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    We have that Trimax.  After a year, even with occasional light weight lubricant, the lock mechanism can get sticky and not want to unlock.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    LisaTucsonLisaTucson Member Posts: 60
    I use and love the TriMax.

Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
    2016 T@B 320 S Outback ("Scout")
    TV: 2013 Lexus 450h
    "You never know when you're having good luck." ~ Unknown
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2019
    I think it was the Trimax that PXLated/Nomad spent hours working to get the blown sand & dirt out of the keyway. He was finally successful, but was boondocking 'out on the middle of nowhere', stuck with a camper that wouldn't roll!

Seems they might need to dust-proof their design!

(Having said that, I think the Trimax has the better reputation, & more and better reviews on Amazon, for whatever that's worth)
    DougH said:
    We have that Trimax.  After a year, even with occasional light weight lubricant, the lock mechanism can get sticky and not want to unlock.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    I loop a heavy duty security chain through one wheel and then through the T@B's step frame.  Seems to do the job. Plus I have a lock on the trailer's hitch.

Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @ChanW, I think PXLated ended up putting a bag over the lock to prevent sand infiltration.  He was the Southwest full-timer guinea pig!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We use the Brahma wheel lock; I don't believe there has ever been a trailer theft reported involving this lock. It is not easy to apply or remove, even with the key. However, I think if you consider using an easier and less expensive lock in conjunction with other anti theft devices, i.e. layering your precautions, simple thieves might be deterred when faced with more than one device to disable and would move on to the next trailer.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    In the images on Amazon for the Trimax, there is no cover for the key-cylinder. But in one of the customer photos, there seems to be a rubber cap that goes over the keyhole...? 
    @LisaTucson, did yours come with a cover for the keyhole?

@Arwen, I like your solution. A bright yellow paint job on the chain would be good too.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    LisaTucsonLisaTucson Member Posts: 60
    Yes, @ChanW it did come with a dust cover. I forgot to mention that earlier. I got mine on the Walmart website.
    Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
    2016 T@B 320 S Outback ("Scout")
    TV: 2013 Lexus 450h
    "You never know when you're having good luck." ~ Unknown
  • Options
    @jgram2--where did you get the Brahma lock?  I'm not seeing it on Amazon?
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited March 2019
    Sorry, I don't think it's available on Amazon- http://brahmalock.com . We ordered the lock over the phone, not online. The customer service was exemplary-we had questions before and after purchase. We have no financial or personal involvement with this company, just satisfied customers.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 586
    I bought the Trimax as pictured above last year and it has the cap. No issues with it at all and fits nicely in a tub. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I am leaning toward the Brahma, big beast and not cheap. Talked to @jgram2 yesterday and factory today.

I was set to go cheaper with the Trimax, but some reviews lead me to belive that lock can be easily defeated in more than one way. One review picked the lock easily, another had one cut off easily and another pried it off with a crow bar, maybe you get what you pay for?

I am thinking of applying my Proven Industries coupler lock budget to a better wheel lock and just use a less expensive coupler lock.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @N7SHG_Ham, considering you can haul these trailers away by putting a chain through the a-frame, a good wheel lock will probably do more to prevent theft.  The casual thief defeated by any coupler lock is probably going to take your propane tank, not your TaB.  We like the peace of mind of the Brahma lock.  You do need to put it on the passenger side (unless you plan to jack up the driver side wheel) - don’t ask how we know😀
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    Brahma here too. Just arrived. They’ve sold over 9,000 units and not one trailer has gone missing. We have to park at a storage lot and also we don’t just camp, we like to travel so we will be leaving the T@B unattended during the day often. It’s worth the peace of mind to us. It was just under $300 and like folks said above, we called and ordered and their customer service is fantastic!
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Ikc001, @N7SHG_Ham, we have the brahma lock. Spoke to the owner of the company personally when we ordered it. He sells internationally and claims that no trailer with a brahma lock engaged has ever been stolen. We were convinced and have been completely satisfied. Just our 2 cents.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for your feedback— helps make decisions when purchasing must have items for my new baby!
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @ColleenD2
    Are those wheels in your picture the original from-the-factory wheels or did you add those later?  If you have the info, what brand, model, size are they?  I've been looking for less "flashy" wheels for my TAB 400 and these look good--if they will fit.
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    Stolen photo sorry. Our T@B is scheduled for pickup next Saturday. Right now, our kitchen looks like a camper exploded and the Brahma waits patiently there.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    @falcon1970 that is a Wells Cargo trailer, I have a white one with same wheels with over 30k miles, those may have been used on other makes, but I think mostly were on Wells Cargo's.
  • Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    ChanW said:
    @Arwen, I like your solution. A bright yellow paint job on the chain would be good too.
    My brother had used this chain and lock to secure his Honda Goldwing motorcycle (the original 1975 1000) when he lived in California.  So it is now over 40 years old, and could probably use some paint.  It is heavy and a bit difficult for me to thread through my T@B's wheel, but the price was right. :)
    Currently my T@B is tucked into it's shed/carport, behind 5 feet of snow, so It will be another month before I have to even think about locking her up again.
    No sign of Spring up here yet, with another below zero night.
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    edited June 2019

We own a Boondock with tires to large for the Brahma and other wheel locks. However, a Kryptonite 785 chain bicycle lock can be threaded through the wheel spokes and the suspension link to secure the wheel from moving. They are strong, relatively light, easy to store and inexpensive! 

EDITED FOR PHOTO SIZE -Sharon

1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I have the Brahma and use that on my 2019 Tab 400 Boondock. It fits despite opinions to the contrary, but is a tight fit. Big, heavy and takes a good bit of storage space, I carry it on the floor just inside the door, last thing in, 1st thing out when I park.
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    I was all set to get the Brahma for my new 320 BDL, but then saw the posts about them not fitting and the company disavowing their use on Boondocks. Obviously, it does work for @N7SHG_Ham and others, too, I'm sure. What is the model number of your lock and bolt cover?
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    @Cherokee  Only thing I don't like about that lock you have is it is very hard to see.. it may not act as a visible deterrent.. and .. I know I'd be worried I'd forget it was there and drive off with it still attached myself too...

I like how high visibility the locks are both for saying "eh try another trailer" to the potential thief, and also for "don't forget you have it on and try and drive off yourself.

I'm intrigued by those Brama locks as blocking the wheel lugs seems really smart.. but I have a Boondock Edge so based on what I'm seeing that wouldn't fit my wheels.

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    edited June 2019
    @DigitalSorceress and @Travelin3D I have the WL001 and optional shallow dish. Does the Boondock Edge have different size wheels and tires? My tires are stock 2019 400 Boondock tires of size ST235/75R15. The Brahma lock is a tight fit and that may be the issue and 1st time took me a while to figure out the "puzzle", but now it is a quick install/uninstall. I place on door side.
  • Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    I have the Brahma and use that on my 2019 Tab 400 Boondock. It fits despite opinions to the contrary, but is a tight fit. Big, heavy and takes a good bit of storage space, I carry it on the floor just inside the door, last thing in, 1st thing out when I park.

N7SHG_Ham said:

Yes! The Brahma will fit the 205/75/15's on your T@B 400. Unfortunately, the the manufacture's web site states that their wheel lock will not fit the wider 235/75/15 tires on my 320.
  • Options
    I was all set to get the Brahma for my new 320 BDL, but then saw the posts about them not fitting and the company disavowing their use on Boondocks. Obviously, it does work for @N7SHG_Ham and others, too, I'm sure. What is the model number of your lock and bolt cover?

@Cherokee  Only thing I don't like about that lock you have is it is very hard to see.. it may not act as a visible deterrent.. and .. I know I'd be worried I'd forget it was there and drive off with it still attached myself too...

I like how high visibility the locks are both for saying "eh try another trailer" to the potential thief, and also for "don't forget you have it on and try and drive off yourself.

I'm intrigued by those Brama locks as blocking the wheel lugs seems really smart.. but I have a Boondock Edge so based on what I'm seeing that wouldn't fit my wheels.

Brahma locks are Great! Unfortunately, the Manufacture states that it will NOT fit the 235/75/15 on my 320 Boondock Edge. It will fit the smaller tires (205/75/15) on the 400 Boondock. As for visual deterrent the White block letters spelling out: "Kryptonite" will have to do. Hopefully, none of us pull away without having one cup of coffee! One would probably notice the lock while cranking the supplemental supports, removing the jack wheel and the wheel chucks before  pulling away .  
  • Options
    A useful site to determine if a Brahma lock will fit the wheel/tire on your trailer:

• Options
    @Cherokee, my 400 BD does have 235/75/15 tires and you see the lock on that tire. It is a very tight fit, I think Brahma is being cautious due to some returns from folks that couldn't figure out how to wrestle it on there, it took me a good long while first time. Once you learn the secret it is pretty easy. I can't guarantee it would work for you, but it does work on my particular 400 with the 235/75/15 tires.
  • Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @Cherokee, my 400 BD does have 235/75/15 tires and you see the lock on that tire. It is a very tight fit, I think Brahma is being cautious due to some returns from folks that couldn't figure out how to wrestle it on there, it took me a good long while first time. Once you learn the secret it is pretty easy. I can't guarantee it would work for you, but it does work on my particular 400 with the 235/75/15 tires.
    Odd that NuCamp's specks do not mention 235/75/15 tires on a T@B400:

And a Brahma supplier whom I've used and trust stated that they will not fit 235/75/15 tires  :

Other suppliers I've looked at say the same thing as Morrison: "Up to a 9" wide tire." (a 235 is 9.3" wide)

Perhaps you should share your "secret" with them. What pressure do you have in your tires when you slip a 9" clamp over a 9.3" tire?

In any event, tests of Kryptonite locks show them to be very effective and they are lighter and take up little storage space compared to any wheel clamp lock .