Options

Hello from Texas! (and a question)

KristaKrista Member Posts: 22

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be picking up our new 2015 T@B Maxx (Burnt orange and white) from a dealership in Austin this Saturday.  My husband was a die-hard tent camper until he saw the T@B.  I think it is just small and cozy enough to make it seem tent-like, and I know once we get to use it he will be sold.  My family had a 70's Starcraft Pop-Up growing up and I have very fond memories of camping with my parents and sister. I've been trying to proclaim the benefits of camper life ever since I met my hubby 9 years ago. :)

One question for you--- I have read that it takes several weeks (or months) to receive a T@B XL visor or Trailer Tent. We'd like to get that ordered soon.  Does anyone have a preference? I like the look of the visor, but know the tent room would come in handy.  

I will add pictures in a few weeks, but I just wanted to thank everyone for all the helpful hints and tips.  I just joined the group a couple of days ago, but have lurked her ever since I first learned about T@B.  I look forward to being a T@B owner and getting to know all of you better!

Krista and Jonathan 

Comments

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    We have the visor. It's quick and easy. The shade and coverage isn't great. We are about to order the awning. Looks to provide better shade and coverage. I have several large tents if we want a tent. Since ours is a CSS maxx we have a canopy for over the galley. Your options are only limited by your spending limit  =)
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    We too have the large shade or shelter. One of the benefits of it over the tent is that when it rains you don't have the wet floor to deal with. And I'm sure the tent gobbles up much more storage space. IMO the shelter completes my T@B.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have the VisorXL (large version) and love it - Easy single person setup - I did ditch their tie-down cables with something beefier and stake it directly down rather than back to the T@B. It's not good in moderately high winds but I suppose nothing is.
    And, yes, they take awhile to get - Mine took 2 months.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2015
    We bought the add-a room tent and love it.

Dog space when needed. Space for gear, especially in the winter (boots, skates, skis, coats, etc). Grandson space. Bug free 'porch'. Good for cooking in the rain or snow.

It's larger than the Tab itself.

More work to set up, however. We tend not to set it up unless we plan to be there for more than one night.

The visor would be nice for 'quick and easy' shade.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    And surprisingly, the visor works pretty good for rain and keeping stuff dry - As long as it's not sideways rain.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    We have a visor XL and an awning.  I prefer the visor because it is quick and simple to set up, I can do it myself in five minutes.  It will keep rain at bay unless it is a heavy, sideways rain.  It also has trouble in the wind.

The rare times we are at a location for more then a couple of nights I will set up the awning as it does provide added protection.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    edited April 2015
    Those are 2 completely different animals, and so the trip dictates our needs.  If we have extra people, or are staying more than 3 days, we use the add-a-room.  We are in a high humidity area, and our Cool Cat AC keeps the room nice and cool, and our adult kids sleep out there on cots.  If it's just me, or hubby and I, but are staying several days I like the add-a-room because, if gone, or during the night, I can store things in there without loading them back in my Jeep, such as bikes, chairs, etc.  My room is no longer made, but it's basically the same size as the current room.

On weekends I mainly use my Visor.  It's so easy up and down, and does the basics with shade and slight rain.  I don't own the full awning.

Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Wow - That's quite the setup.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I should mention we have also used both at the same time.  Below is our setup when we were at Disney for two weeks in January.  I set the awning up on the back side and used it as a kitchen, so everything could stay sheltered.  Worked very well.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    mcdmcd Member Posts: 17
    Picking up our MAXX S in a few weeks. Also ordered the tent. How long does it take two people to put up the tent?
  • Options
    KristaKrista Member Posts: 22
    Wow! Thanks for all the tips! I love the pictures and never thought of using the visor and tent at once! How smart! It sounds like it would be ideal to have both!

krista
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    Pahaque tent takes me around 40 minutes to set up "solo" - I have set it up entirely solo, but it's helpful to have a "here, please hold this" person around. Photo of the tent (blue) stored in the T@b: 

gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander