Tongue or Trailer Jack too long

I had to have a new trailer jack installed on my 2013 TAB Q.  It's too long. It worked OK but once I loaded my truck and trailer it now hits the driveway when going in and out.  My first trip I couldn't get the wheel on it so I could unhitch.  The pipe is too long.  Are there different size jacks?  Did they install the wrong one?  

Comments

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Just just cut or have someone cut 2 or 3 inches off the bottom.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • targtarg Member Posts: 81
    Since you had it done, I’d take it back and let them adjust it ir cut it off like @Dalehelman suggested. 
    Or, better yet, have them swap it for an Ultimate Jack. It’s trivially adjustable and even removable if need be. 
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Are you sure your hitch ball is the right height? It’s a fairly common mistake to measure it with your tow vehicle empty and then find that it’s too low once you’ve filled up your tow vehicle. You might even be able to fix it by re-loading your TV with heavier stuff in front of the rear axle. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    Mine is the same-- I can just barely have enough room to get the wheel on the post on a level driveway & I scraped the post at the entrance to my driveway which has a slope on the front end-- I'm going to have to take it to a trailer shop & do what Dale said or get a smaller wheel-- are lots of people having this issue?
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sometimes it is because your tow vehicle “squats” as the weight of the T@B is put on the hitch. 

First I had 2” cut off of my jack tube.  Then after research, I had Firestone air bags with a compressor installed on my rear end of my Toyota Tacoma because it squatted with the weight of the T@B, even though the T@B is within its towing capacity. Tacoma’s are known for the squatting. 

The Tacoma tows my new T@B 400 just fine. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • SueDogWalkerSueDogWalker Member Posts: 12
    Thank you for all the info.  I did discover that once I unloaded my Toyota Highlander the problem was gone.  What a pain in the butt.  
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    You can raise your jack just by using longer bolts and spacers.  Get 3 lengths of 1/2" black pipe about 2-3" long, (most hardware stores will cut them for you) then get longer bolts for the jack to match the spacer length.  Just pull the old bolts, add the spacers between the tongue and jack, then put the longer bolts in.  No cutting needed....

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
    @WilliamA— I guess I’m not understanding— I understand the spacers & longer bolt idea but what are the 3 sections of pipe for & where do those go?  Thanks!
    Woohoo!
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    The pipe pieces are the spacers.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Ok I get it now— duh— so are the bolts incredibly hard to get off?
    Woohoo!
  • targtarg Member Posts: 81
    I know I sound like a broken record - Ultimate Jack. I put some picts of ours over in this thread.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/111448#Comment_111448
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

@targ thank you— I will look at that jack
    Woohoo!