Options

Towing advice

Hi, I just bought a used 2007 T@B. I love it and am setting it up to be homey for my dog and I. One problem - when I towed it home after the purchase it was bouncing all over the place and the coupling/hitch/receiver was making all kinds of alarming noise. My tow vehicle is a 2015 Jeep Cherokee and I had to get a hitch with a 3.5" drop. Even with the drop the front of the T@B still seems to ride a bit high. I had the hitch people at U-haul check it and had the tire shop look at the tires and axle. Everyone says things look fine, but on my drive to U-haul it was nerve-wracking listening to all the thumps and watching the trailer bounce around in the rear view mirror. There is an unusual coupler on the front that, according to the manual, is able to move this way and that. It looks as though it may telescope in and out. Yikes! I wonder what will solve this problem, if anything! Any help that all of you experienced T@B owners can provide will be great! Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Empty trailer?  Probably just need some weight.  When you stock it, the drive will most likely be much better.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Hmmmm - I don't have a clue as I don't know what kind of hitch was on a 2007.  Towing my 2015 behind my Jeep Wrangler rides so smooth I have to look to see if it's there but there can be some squeezing at the hitch once in awhile. However, the T@B is very light and if I'm on an uneven road it does bounce and rock. If I'm out in the boondocks getting to a site on the usual uneven road it does rock and roll no matter how slow I go. Looks weird in the mirror cuz the T@B has such a short tongue it looks like the body is riding on the bumper.

Hopefully someone that knows about that vintage hitch will pipe up.
  • Options
    Ooooops - Forgot to ask, what kind of road were you on? 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2015

Welcome, CampinLady.  Try this.  Without your T@B attached to your hitch, grab your hitch and see if it moves a bit sideways and up and down.  There might be a bit of extra room inside your receiver and the noises might be the hitch moving (don't be alarmed--it's normal and OK.) 

You may just need a hitch tighner or a quiet hitch to tighten it up.  Here's what I use on my Tacoma

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Roadmaster/RM-061.html

And, I agree with Crystal that an empty camper could be causing the T@B to hop on the road. 

Crystal, could she be talking about the surge brakes on the 2007?  I've only seen one once, and had to ask what it was.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Weight - Ya, that'd make a big difference. Why didn't I think of that ;-)
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Could be a few factors here.
    1 Tow high will cause sway problems.
    2 Tongue weight will help with stability.
    3 Looked up that year, had a surge brake, which explains possible movement in coupler.  Also, might need adjusting.
    4 Torsion bar suspension, rubber could be worn out, axle might have to be replaced.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I bet if you pack the rig and pay attention to balance of weight fore and aft of the axle it will ride just fine.  With the rig off measure from the ground to the top of the ball.  My 2015 should be 16", I bet yours is the same spec.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

As others have said, I found that insuring the trailer was level and weight distribution were the two most important factors in smoothing out the tow.  Level is best, but tilted slightly down in front is better than tilted up.  I also found that it is better to have a little more weight ahead of the axle than behind.  It took some experimentation for me, as it probably will for you.  Good luck.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    CampinladyCampinlady Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. your guys are great!!! Donna
  • Options
    I meant "you guys". That includes girls if you're from Illinois like I am!
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    that phrase also applies to the northeast  :)
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283

One other thing I might add. If none of the above suggestions solve the problem. 

I had a similar problem with my Little Guy 5Wide. Noticed a lot of sway and bounce after several years of use. Had the bearings replaced and repacked and that solved the problem. Do you know when the wheels and bearings were last inspected?

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Sounds like your tongue is too light.

Your tongue weight should be approx 10-15% of the total trailer weight, or around 190-225 pounds, for safe towing with less sway and bounce. Arrange your load to achieve this.

That would help a lot, but a 'swale' road like we have here in rural WNY, is going to make your Tab buck like a wild pig, no matter what! I'm hoping the frost heaves level out around here, with the warming weather.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    ChanW - I like your analogy!
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Well, when they bounce excessively it usually means that you have a broken belt in one or both of the tires. If they are worse for wear, I'd go ahead and replace them. At the same time you could have the bearings replaced also. After eight years of service could be an issue. If you had a history of it's past use could point you in the right direction (i.e. excessive mileage, maintenance log, etc.)
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    The part you described as telescoping is, in fact, the Dutchman T@B brakes.  I think when you get the T@B loaded, and your tongue weight is where it should be, you will see the bouncing disappear.  I'm from IL....southern part of the state :dog: 
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Oh, keep in mind the bearings on your Dutchmen are sealed and do NOT need to be greased.  At some point down the road they will need to be replaced, depending on miles towed.  We're beginning to see the earlier years of Dutchmen T@Bs getting having to be replaced.  Next time out, feel the hub to assure it's not hot.  I, too, have an '07 and carry an extra bearing set...just in case.  

• Options
    Hi All,

So many great suggestions. The solution turned out to be a hitch with a 7 1/2 inch drop and a locking hitch pin that keeps the hitch stable in the receiver. I did have the tires and wheels checked and both seem ok. The T@B still bounces a lot more than previous trailers I've had but, as some of you said, once I have it loaded up with all of my stuff, it will probably town more smoothly.