Options

Tacoma Tow Vehicle with a 400 Boondock Lite

JbreunigJbreunig Member Posts: 25
I just ordered a 2020 400 Boondock Lite.  My tv is a 2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Club Cab, long bed with the big V6 engine.  It has the factory tow package.  It indicates I have a towing capability of 6,700 lbs.  On paper this should work but I was wondering if anyone has this combination and how it has worked?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    There are several folks with this combo who may chime in.  The theme seems to be the Tacomas benefit from rear air bags to offset the “squatting”.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There was a recent discussion concerning the Tacoma. Search (upper right corner if this page) for Tacoma and you’ll see the link for the discussion. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    Jbreunig,  I'm in a similar boat. I will be towing a 2020 Tab 400 (non-boondock) with a 2019 Tacoma TRD OffRoad.

A few notes in my research:
    1) The 2019 Tacoma manual says that any trailer over 2000lbs must have an anti sway device.  I bet 2017 has the same note.

"If the gross trailer weight is over 2000 lb. (907 kg), a sway control device with sufficient capacity is required." pg 178 of the Tacoma owners manual.

2) My understanding is that the 'squishiness' of the Tacoma suspension gets worse for towing as you go up the trim levels (SR -> SR5 -> Limited -> TRD Sport -> TRD OffRoad -> TRD Pro).  The more 'off road', the more articulation and movement the suspension is meant to have.  

Because I have one of the squishier ones, I'm going to add Ride Rite airbags to my rear leaf packs.  It's a pretty easy install and you don't need onboard air, you can just pump them up with a bike pump if you want.

3) You'll need to add a brake controller, the Tacoma doesn't come with one from the factory. 
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    JbreunigJbreunig Member Posts: 25
    Great advice and insight, thanks
  • Options
    SierraSierra Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2019
    We just picked up our Tab 400 boondock last week.(upgrade from a Dutchman Tab)  Drive a 2014 Tacoma dual cab long box 4x4 with a 1inch lift. We added sumo springs instead of air bags. No maintenance and a bit cheaper. Drove really well from BC  🇨🇦 Down To California. 
    2019 TAB 400 Boondock Lite 
  • Options
    rbrtmrbrtm Member Posts: 34
    How about a tundra anyone?