Options

Table Replaced

WrossWross Member Posts: 19
edited April 2015 in Modifications & Upgrades
One of the real disappointments was the table in our 2013 model S.
Heavy, hard to fold up, and when we slept on the bed it moved, was not stable.

I removed it and replaced it with a wood table. I bought the birch plywood from Lowe's, used Poly-seal to finish it, and placed support rails around the edges of the opening, and a strengthening rib across the table.

The base, post, etc was a quick $25 Amazon. I did drill the floor ( after checking for wires, pipes, etc.) for the base, as i wanted it recessed.

walter

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2015
    The rails are glued and fastened with finish nails, then woodscrews. The table is strong, light weight, and sets level so the bed is more comfortable and does not move.
  • Options
    mdimdimdimdi Member Posts: 32
    I would like to do the same thing. How did you check for wires? Does the hole go all the way through the floor or is it just recessed? Do you have any install pics? 
  • Options
    Mdimdi, I measured where i wanted the hole, then climbed under and checked. The closest item is the propane pipe, cleared by 3-4 inches.
    the hole goes through, i think its a 3" hole (used a hole saw in my drill)
    I sealed it with caulking, then screwed it with wood screws.
    i found the floor is a sandwich ply of plywood, foam insulation, a black synthetic fabric on bottom, and the linoleum floor on top.

If you don't want to drill a hole you can use the same fitting that is on the bottom of the table.

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    I agree that the table that comes with the T@B is basically useless-at lest to me.  I find that it makes circular indentations on the floor, it's heavy and awkward to remove from the T@B and usually bed is left made "out" and the table isn't used for eating.  I'm going to do something others have done and that is to remove the table totally and put a board across to support the mattress and use the table elsewhere.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Table = Worthless...I'll 50th that. Way too heavy and cumbersome. Was the first thing that hit the storage locker.
  • Options
    mcdmcd Member Posts: 17
    Can the legs be removed so just the top can be used?
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Most of us leave the table home, and make the bed using wood slats.  I carry a small table that I use both inside and outside.  Most meals are at the picnic table anyway.  However, the Dutchmen table is very sturdy and doesn't wobble.  If we're using the add-a-room, I sometimes bring it and use it out there.

Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    Could someone please post photos of the "wooden slats" in use?  Thanks.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    Here's a video by Richard Lewis, guru of T@B mods. lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2GqD2fRw_M
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Hubby made mine with only three boards, wider.  I then use them as a table top with my folding table.  Dual purpose

• Options
    Thanks so much TABaker.  That is just what I needed to see.  We will be picking up our T@B on Friday.  It is so interesting to see how people have customized the space.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    2canoe said:
    Could someone please post photos of the "wooden slats" in use?  Thanks.
    Here are a couple shots of my set up

• Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    I've got the same question as mcd. I'm considering removing the folding leg apparatus from the table. The last thing I want to do at camp is wrestle with the table. Heavy, awkward, difficult to raise and lower, etc etc etc. the table should still hold the weight of sleepers without breaking? Also allows for storage under the bed. Comments please 
    '15 T@B Max CS
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Just curious.  It seems like all of the pictures of table modifications where people are complaining of the table are of U, Q or S models.  I would like to know if the people who have the CS/CSS/L models are having the same trouble/complaints with the table.  I know that the CS/CSS/L models already come with rails and they get 2 bed slats.   Do any you folks with the CS/CSS/L use the table or are you having the same issues?
  • Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    I have an L and switched to slats. In general I found the table difficult to raise and lower, and difficult to slide past when using the benches. Because the table rested on the slats, we didn't have trouble with it being unstable when used for the bed. However, we usually leave half the bed set up and fold bedding back over it during the day. That makes it so easy to make the bed at night. In this photo, i'm packed up and I've pulled the bedding to launder, but it gives you the idea.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Patti said:
    I don't know if the apparatus has changed or not, but I figured out that my 2015 table is quite easy to raise and lower. I see why people struggle with it--I did. But it's really quite easy and I imagine the LG people scratch their heads over some of the complaints about it.

The yellow button is a lock when it's up. That's all. When you kneel or squat in front of the table and release the button, you simply pull and the table lowers forward toward you.  I haven't locked it in the down position--not sure if you can or if you're supposed to. But when we are ready to raise it again, simply pull forward and it raises. Then lock the yellow button.

Maybe we need a video of that, too.
    I think it's more about the amount of space it takes up and the fact that it is heavy to remove.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    For me it is the space issue. And under it is wasted space. When I get slats put in my large dog will have better accommodations.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    We have a 2015-L, I removed the lift mechanism from our table so I could keep the spare tire under the bed. Still using the table top though, it works just fine for bed use. We keep the bed made up all the time anyway, and eat/sit in the add-a-room. Thinking of going to slats just to save weight, still on the fence on that.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    bobandcarolbobandcarol Member Posts: 17
    we found the table in our Orange Crush 2015 clamshell to be heavy and a little to difficult for us...this model already came with rails so I just cut a half dozen slats from a maple bench I had sitting around that was the exact right thickness ...I spaced then out and it worked perfectly, store them under the bench pads...and bought a fold up table to use inside and outside as we want..Carol got custody of the T@B table in her quilt studio !!
    2015 T&B CS, 2013 Subaru Outback
    Augusta, Maine
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Glad for the feeback from everyone so it is a weight/storage issue for any T@B model.  We will most likely do what everyone else does and use bed slats in place of the table.  
  • Options
    Bucking the trend here but we don't have any problem with the table.  I find I can lower and raise it easily.  I'm not sure what I would do with the floor space it it were there.  There never will be enough room to dance.  We, as a couple, are both comfortable sitting around the table so it isn't a problem for us.  
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    Nice to see all the creative options in case we have a change of mind.
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    We have no problems with ours.  The only modifications I did, was put slats on each side, so the table doesn't squeak when down in the bed mode.  Also, by modifying the front brace, I was able to move the table top back 6 inches, giving more easy access to the bench on the AC side and now have more stand up room in front.
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Patti, You mentioned a yellow button?  No such animal on my 2015 table.  Mine has a black metal lever to release in order to lower the table.  As we have used it the mechanism has gotten somewhat looser and the table often binds and gets skewed front to back with the back end refusing to come up on it's own.  I would be very interested in seeing your table yellow button. Is it feasible to snap a photo to post?

Thanks!
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    We took the table out after our 1st t@b trip - it is stored at home along with the base (we unscrewed it from the floor to have smooth surface - easier to walk around and to store stuff under the bed. We made slats from cedar planks we bought online, they smell great and are light to pack away.We have a wooden TV tray table at hand for occasional use as indoor table (inclement weather, etc), and it doubles as a side table outdoors  under the awning when we are longer in camp and take more gear out.
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Thanks. Looks the same only mines all black. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    Once the "pull towards you and lower" motion is figured out, converting from table height to bed is easy. Lifting back up to table height is something else IMO. To get it up, I have to reach under the table with my foot and hold the base in place while also pulling the table top towards me as I raise it. This seems nearly impossible without very long legs and/or arms. I've chosen to replace the table and add slats, at least for now. If there's an easier way to raise the table despite rather short arms and legs, I'd love to know.
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    It took me a few tries to learn because it is counterintuitive. It pulls toward you both to lift AND to lower. Just step on the front leg and leave yourself enough room to lift towards yourself. 
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    My modification has the front leg flush with. the front of the table, so no foot below the table to raise and lower.  Plus, we now can move the table top back 6 inches from the front of the trailer.  Also, we can pull it forward to the original position, if we want too.