Redarc Brake Controller?

Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
After the recent discussion regarding the Prodigy RF brake controller, Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller - Issue noted when towing, I started looking around for possible alternatives.  It seemed like the Prodigy P3 was the likely substitute since the hardwire set up would eliminate the brake pulsing issue, though I was not crazy about having to hang the unit under the dash.

The April issue of Trailer Life had a review of the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite and I also checked it out on e-trailer.  This seems like a very viable alternative: also a hardwire setup, mount the head unit in any solid location and all you have showing is the control knob.  Installation looks to be about as easy as the P3.  Has anyone had any experience or feedback on the Redarc unit?
Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
2019 Subaru Ascent Premium

Comments

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    I don't have first hand experience with the Redarc, but in my research of brake controllers, the Redarc has pretty consistent positive reviews. I know that Ford is using it as the standard "Dealer Installed" brake controller on its new Ranger pickup (as there is no factory option for one). 
    And the new Jeep Gladiator seems to be planning on using it as a factory option. Here is a short link to TFL Truck that shows a picture of the "Jeep" brake controller, which if you examine it, is a Redarc.
    https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/04/2020-jeep-gladiator-trailer-brake-controller-will-not-be-offered-standard-or-optional/

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • casadesaraymattcasadesaraymatt Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2019
    I installed the Redarc in my new 2019 Ford Ranger. My dealer wasn't installing brake controllers in them, so I did it myself about  a month ago. We have pulled our T@b 400 3 times now using the Redarc and it seems to be working great. The first time was a bit jerky, but I think it was partly me trying to find the sweet spot setting on the gain. The last two times have been smooth and perfect. I would definitely recommend it and its nice not having a "brick" hanging under your dash somewhere.
  • CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 4
    I installed one in my jeep.  Works as advertised.  Takes up no space. 
    All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.
  • chpivchpiv Member Posts: 20
    I installed one in my 2017 Tacoma. I love that it looks factory installed and it works great.
    2015 Little Guy T@B Outback
    2017 Toyota Tacoma Offroad
    Bishop, CA
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    I am a big fan of the Tuson DirecLink.  https://tusonrvbrakes.com/  Plugs directly into the OBD II port and determines braking force by reading data directly from the tow vehicle’s on board computer.  It’s very configurable.  For example, you can set it to apply different levels of braking force for high and low speeds to dial out overbraking.  Brain box installs under the dash with zip ties.  Controller can be mounted anywhere on the dash with mounting tape and is about the size of a CB mic.  No drilling at all required. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Thanks for the feedback.  I'm pretty much sold on the Redarc - I just need to verify that I have a solid mounting spot for the head unit.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium