Options

Best Guide for Campgrounds?

vitovito Member Posts: 181
edited April 2015 in Camping & Travel
We just put down a deposit for a factory ordered S-Max Sofitel and are really excited about our entry into the world of RV'ing. For motels/hotels I have used the AAA travel guides, or TripAdvisor on line, and similar sources. Is that a publication that is generally viewed as the best guide to campgrounds around the country that I could use as I plan ahead for where I need to spend the night? Years and years ago when I did tent camping I remember having a Woodall's guide but haven't looked into whether or not they are still in business. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. 
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    remphotoremphoto Member Posts: 11
    We bought the Good Sam directory at Camping World but the darn thing is so huge and heavy that it is almost impossible to lug around and use.  Much of the same info is on their website. I also downloaded the All Stays Camp and RV smartphone app that someone mentioned.  It looks like it might be useful, too.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I use apps on my iPhone/iPad...Here's a screen shot...

• Options
    Oh, and, there's several online blogs that map their travels and review the sites/areas they stay in. wheelingit.us is the one I follow most closely. When I'm heading to a new area I always check their sit and travel maps first.
  • Options
    mdimdimdimdi Member Posts: 32
    Does that boondocking app work ok? It does not get very good reviews. 
  • Options
    To be honest, I've rarely used it. The two in the upper left are the ones I use the most - They're very similar but each have something unique.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Check out rvparkreviews.com for reviews, websites and information on campgrounds.
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I was able to get the Woodall's guides for free from my local AAA. If you want something on paper, try that.  However, I prefer apps, too.  My very favorite, go-to app is no longer available for purchase (Campwhere).  Second place would be the Allstays app that PXLated has.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    I'm not familiar with most of these apps and took at real quick look at Allstays.  I'm making the big assumption that these focus on locating camping opportunities, not determining availability etc.?  Here in Florida you can't be serious about looking for state and federal parks etc. without the reserve america app that covers availability.  I have found the information on rvparkreviews.com to be good as mentioned above.  An "RV" park that accepts tenters always seems more T@B friendly.  
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Don't really know about the various apps out there, but in terms of websites, I really like RVparkreviews.  They have done a recent update to the site, a nice clean interface now.  A good number of reviews, though not all campgrounds are represented, and some are gone so you still have to do some research if there are no recent reviews.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Both the Allstays and Ultimate CG apps give you a bunch of information about each site with links and contact info. These apps really shine if you're looking for boondocking areas or federal lands you can camp on. A lot of guides don't include those camping areas. Here's a screen shot fro Ultimate for Zion National Park.

• Options
    And here's one for a boondocking site outside Zion...

• Options
    The apps usually tell you if the site takes reservations or not and If you want reservations you just just tap the "more info" link and it will take you to the campgrounds website.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Does it indicate if it's a dirt or gravel road to get to the boondocking site? That would be helpful (especially to a newbie like me who won't want to tackle some of the roads to begin with)! Thanks for the screen shots...
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Pretty much all true dispersed camping sites will have a dirt or gravel road leading in since the rules typically dictate camping at least 1/4 mile from paved roads.  Sometimes you will see the condition of the road mentioned in the description.  I've seen descriptions that include "heavily-rutted" and RVs not recommended, too.  One of the best ways I've found to find dispersed camping sites is to stop at a ranger station and ask.  They can provide guidance relative tools conditions, too.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Ya, most give some guidance - If I get there and am unsure of the roads I'll drop at the first clearing and go explore. An example: saw a bunch of campers way back by these foothills but it wasn't obvious how they got there. The first trail back in looked ok but turned into a real mess a quarter mile in and no place to turn around. If I'd have pulled the T@B in I'd have had to back it out a quarter mile. Never did figure out how they got ther so just camped closer to the main road where some others were. But most are fairly obvious.
    I've only stopped at a BLM office one (Palm Springs) and they were useless, don't think any of them had ever left their desks but others have recommended that. But I find my guides good enough.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Oh, stop at the BLM office in Quartsite.  The man and women are full of great information, good hints, and didn't laugh when I told them I had never stayed at a BLM campground.  And, both seemed to be seasoned hikers and campers.  There's lots of "stuff" to see inside the office, too.  Deceased snakes, bugs, small animals. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”