Options

Alde freight train adjustment?

Hello all---testing my systems on propane this weekend & the Alde was making a fair amount of rumbling noise at the start-up of heating water in the hot water tank.   I have read numerous threads about the "freight train" effect & I'm going to have to contact my dealer to see if they know if the high altitude kit was put on this trailer for the old owner.   On electric it was completely silent on both water heating & cabin heating.  Temp on the Alde was set as low as it would go because I did not need heat in the trailer.   It seemed like after the hot water tank really started heating water that the rumbling quieted down.  I have not tested the heat in the trailer on propane, so it remains to be seen if I get the "freight train"  noise.   My question actually is, I have seen posts where some people talk about turning a "pressure" valve of some kind down to "2" and if that dial is set too high it can also make the Alde rumble.   I know that adjustment is somewhere in the Alde area under the bench seat, but what does it actually look like?   I played contortionist this weekend putting the bug fuzz in the window tracks & checking on my Alde fluid and was just done playing yoga.  I did not readily see any knob that had numbers on it.   Thanks for any help!  PS I'm in Denver so 5,000-5,300 something in altitutde and do high altitude camping all summer.
2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    The Alde glycol circulation pump is under the bench.  It should have the ability to turn it to 1.5 to 2.  If much higher, it can cause the glycol to circulate too quickly and it causes the glycol to “gurgle” loudly in the reservoir.  Sometimes, a version of the Alde pumps come without the control knob and per the favtory, you can not adjust it via the Alde display.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    Yes, I know it is under the bench--does it look like an actual pump, or?   Is it mounted horizontal or sideways?  What is it closest to in that bench area?  I do not see anything looking up at me with this sticker or little red arrow/knob.    Thanks!
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    If your Alde is not making any noise when it's on electric, then your pump adjustment is set correctly. As @Sharon_is_SAM, said, it would cause a gurgling sound in the Alde glycol reservoir, because the fluid is moving so fast in there. You also could see it if you looked at the reservoir.

The high altitude Alde rumble is actually a combustion problem , so is only on propane.

You might be able to see the extra propane gas regulator that would have been installed as the "high altitude kit". I believe its installed under the Tab, in the area where the gas line penetrates the floor, under the back bench. It looks similar to the regulator that's connected to your propane tank up front. But it does sound as though you don't have it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Where is the  pump so I can look to see if it is set on "2"?

Woohoo!
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    It's down near the Alde. I used a flashlight and stuck my head down close to search around.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,599
    lkc001 said:
    Where is the  pump . . . .
    Here:

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    @MuttonChops  Thank you so much for the diagram!  That's what I was looking for--appears to be directly below the big alde transfer tube & the air bleed valve that get hot when the Alde is on.   Looks like another awkward position. :|
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,599
    edited May 2019
    lkc001 said:
    . . .  Looks like another awkward position. :|
    Cellphone camera and a simple mirror are Great Inventions ;)
    My full reference diagram attached.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Found it, but even with the cell phone, it was a pain.  I is pointed at "2", so I guess that's normal.   No wonder I couldn't see it, hidden under a bunch of hoses & cords & the face of the dial, of course, faces the back of the trailer. . . . . had to kind of hang halfway upside down in that bench.    I have to say that surely there was a better way to position this pressure valve thing. . . . . . 
    Woohoo!