Seelevel way off?

So how far off is your tank monitor?  When I picked up the unit the service guy opened the fresh water drain valve & said to leave it open on my trip home so it would slosh & drain on the way home.  We did the walkthrough with all systems live.  By the time I got home all tanks reading zero. Sanitized tank yesterday & found that unless I tilted the trailer as high as it would go couldn't get the fresh water tank above 80%.  After tilting got a fair amount of extra water in the tank but it was reading 100% long before I stopped filling.  Drained the sanitized water this morning & even with the trailer cranked as low as it will go in the front the water is reading 13% & has stopped draining.  Am I never going to get the water tank fully drained when it is parked?  How do I safely winterize if I can't get all the water out?  I use the antifreeze method to winterize.

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    The Seelevel is really more of an approximation.  It is dependent on where they locate the sensor pads and maybe not so ideal with shallow tanks.  If it makes you feel any better, I and others also get the 13% reading when empty.  The fresh tank will start sucking air at 23%, too.  If you really want to drain every drop, raise the driver side wheel and let the tank drain.  What you really need to be careful with is the gray tank.  When we are level, the gray tank starts entering the shower floor at about 85% full.  I measured only 15 gallons at that point.  

If you use the antifreeze method to winterize, placing enough antifreeze in the fresh tank and out through the drain will take care of any residual water left in the tank.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    As Sharon noted it is a result of how and where the sensors are located.  I installed this system on my former 2115 320 T@B and know that this is correct.  The issue here is that the sensors are in effect computer chip boards, and as I recall cannot be cut any shorter than 4”.  Since the freshwater tank is mounted more to the rear of the trailer it is also a narrower holding tank and the sensor cannot be altered and has to be positioned in a manner that as noted, will only give you an approximation of what is left in the tank.  As I used the system I knew that if the water level got near 28% it was the critical level and the pump would begin sucking air.  It only took one shower under these conditions to make sure the tank was full or that there was adequate water to get a good shower.   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    Thank you both for the info.  At least I know now that this is common & will need to empty the gray when it gets to @ 85% and add more fresh water @ 23%.  I'll have to remember to fill the FW tank before hooking up so that I can tilt it high to get a truly full FW tank.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    Our gray water shows 10%...10%...10%... then jumps to 85% and then soon thereafter comes up the shower drain.  Have just learned to watch how much I put down the drain and have gotten good at estimating when it is time to empty.  There is also a great attachment for your gray water dumping where you can attach a covering that fits like the cap but has a hose nozzle attachment (https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T1020-5VP-Water-Drain-Adapter/dp/B000HDIBDI) ... We find that often in a site with sewer that the gray water emptying is at the front of our trailer, that it doesn't conveniently reach with our full sewer hose... This attachment works like a charm... also makes it much easier to empty into a bucket to dump in the gray water waste basins if you don't have a site with sewer hookup.

2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA