Options

Solar Ready

Tab Outback.  The solar ready, does it already have a regulator to guard against overcharge or do I need to have one between my panels and the Tab?  I would assume it interfaces with the inverter and protects against overcharging but I can't find any info on it.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The Outback could be different than my Max-S but doubt it - Solar ready on mine means there is an external port that's prewired to the battery. You'd still need to have a solar controller as part of your solar setup. Some buy panels and controllers separately and build their systems. Others, like me,  just buy a preconfigured system. I bought the Zamp 120w offered by Little Guy. All I had to do was set the controller for battery type and plug it in.
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Ditto what PXLated said.  You'll need a solar charge controller.  Portable units normally include the controller.  Solar kits for permanent installion also typically include one.  If you just buy a panel, you'd need to buy a controller as well.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited April 2015
    I agree with both comments above.   You can buy panels from companies like Renogy and also buy pre-assembled panels that come standard with the solar charge controllers.  

I certainly understand that for new owners the "solar ready" moniker (and statement) can be very confusing and as noted, merely means that you do have the ability to buy a portable solar panel (complete with solar charge controller) and plug it into the Zamp solar port on your trailer and begin charging the battery.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    BenBen Member Posts: 2
    Thanks all.  I suspected as much but just wanted to make sure I wasn't making unnecessary purchases or take the risk and wind up frying my battery.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    "Solar Ready" is a little bit of a stretch but it is one less thing you have to do.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun