Options

Using Surge Protector with Generator

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Need help. Boondocking and connected my Honda 1000w generator to my TAB 320. Recently installed the Progressive Industries hard wire surge protector. With the Honda running, no power to the outlets.  The PI shows Error Code E2 - open ground. Does this mean I can't use a generator with The PI unit? Did not have this issue prior to the PI install.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Hey, @Tabaz , read this thread about how our friend RZRBUG took care of this: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/30948#Comment_30948
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thank you Verna! Good to know there is a solution to this problem. I take back any nice thing I've ever said about Progressive Industries. There was nothing in their manual about generator use - or their optional $18 add-on. They must assume all their customers just camp at established campgrounds with big, beautiful pedestals. Thank God I'm not in a Donner Party situation during this trip.
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    ^^ This issue is really not a Progressive problem.  The problem lies in the generator design.  Every Onan RV generator I've had (several) has the neutral and ground bonded at the generator.  This seems to be an issue for portable generators.   As I've mentioned in other posts on this subject, I permanently bonded the neutral and ground on the back side the generator 20 amp receptacle.  I cannot conceive of any application where this would cause an issue.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    VERY simple solution. Buy a $4.00 3-prong male plug end, put a jumper wire between the ground and silver neutral posts, screw it back together then plug it into an open outlet on the generator. Works like a charm. My complaint with PI is they don't mention this anywhere in their literature. That to me is shameful.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Besides bonding the N-G legs, another option is all the PI units have a bypass switch, the whole idea of the PI unit is to protect form issues with grid power of unknown quality. It seems if using an inverter generator the probability is about nil of getting bad power to the trailer, so you could just flip the bypass switch while on generator power and be pretty safe.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    My PI unit EMS-LCHW30 does not have a bypass switch. It appears PI makes a model with a remote monitor that does have the bypass function.
  • Options
    @Tabaz hmm, I assumed all the PI products had a way to bypass? I guess the bypass on the portable units may be just to not use it :) mine is built in and has the remote display with bypass switch.
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    The hard-wired units with the built-in display (no remote) may not have the bypass switch, but I haven't verified. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    The bypass method for the non display units is a jumper inside the PI. Not user friendly.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    @RollingBnB that seems like a failure at the design stage to not include a bypass switch! Gotta say I am pretty happy with the built in PI unit with remote display + bypass switch.