Options

LED exterior lighting for Keder rail

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
I know we've touched on this subject a few years back in the former T@B forum but would like some input into the best or most affordable lighting to mount the color (remote controlled changes) LED lighting strips to the bottom edge of the Keder rail.   I would also like to see how they are applied to the edge and see some of your setups, along with some recommendations for manufacturers, pricing, links, etc.  Are you running your lights off of 12 volts DC or using AC to power them up?   What is the least invasive means of routing the wiring back into the trailer?   

Thanks in advance!  
Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    Will you be at Ucamp this year? If so, I can show you exactly how Pop-T@B installed this very setup on our T@B. Lots of colors and sequencing.

Last time I looked, the same light kit with remote was available at HD. Around $60. I opened the box there to take a picture of the instructions for the remote.  :)

Ours run off AC using the included transformer, but I'm pretty sure you could eliminate the transformer and power it directly off the 12V DC, as I have done with the other LED lights I've installed.

2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    @Michigan_Mike

Had to go to HD anyway, so I took a picture of the kit.

Scratch my earlier comment about the 12V DC, as this one seems to run at 24V DC using the 120V AC transformer plug. 

The installation was a bit involved, but came out very nice. Now I'm thinking of getting another one, as it says you can run two units together. One for the other side of the T@B, in sync. 

Will have to bring it up at the next board meeting, and see what the chairwoman thinks.  =)

• Options
    Is the tape side weather resistant or shall I say “freeway proof?”  😀
  • Options
    Been on for thousands of miles with no problems.

It's still an adventure figuring out the remote, though.

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited May 2019
    @Michigan_Mike, I installed my under keder lights exactly as @Cyclonic did. Did not re-route the wiring into the trailer. I think my lights were 12v to 110/AC. Control box and transformer wiring are hidden under the door side rear handle trim cover with appropriate slots, grooves and holes made into the handle/trim/cover to allow sensor signal in, power in and lighting strip wiring out. Power goes into the handle cover from the 110 AC exterior t@b plug via a removable power cord. As I adhered the strip to the bottom of the keder rail, I ran 2 thin beads of silicone sealant, one on each side of the lighting strip to both attach and weatherproof the lighting strip. So far, beginning our 4th summer, 30,000+ miles and 35 states later, system still working fine, and I'd do it again. 

Finally, exerior LED lighting by @Cyclonic is the exact thread I mimicked.  (Yes he misspelled exterior, so you may not find it in a search.  -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @dragonsdofly, I just edited Cyclonic’s title, so now it is searchable.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I'm sure anyone searching will thank you as well as me. I appreciate you and all the work you do very much.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Thanks Denise!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Great and informative information!  I was wondering about the adhesion part and the adding of the silicone sealant sounds like a good idea.  And as I recall, PopT@B was able to run his wiring into the rear of the trailer via the lights.  I’m not sure I can do that with the 400, but since there is a cargo bay under the rear of the trailer it should be easy enough and doable. 

I purchased a 16’ string of Patriot LED remote-controlled colored interior lights from Menard’s, ran them under the base of the cabinets next to the shower, up the door frame alongside the screen door and down to the bench seat along the passenger side, placing the remote sensor eye in the lower corner for use with the remote control.  The lights were awesome, gave the interior a nice atmosphere, with subdued lighting.  

I might do something similar in our 400, but will have to say that nuCamp’s recessed lighting is nice and the blue light setting on the ceiling light and rear reading lights over the bed provide a nice subdued lighting too.  
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I bought a cheap set off Ebay, less than $20 for a waterproof RGB light strip. I bought some heavy duty double sided sticky tape 1" wide and put it on the back of the light strip and trimmed it. The end of the light strip barely pokes underneath the front handle, and then I plug in the white controller thing and the power cord at each trip. Has not moved at all in 3 years.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    I don't get it.  So- it sounds like you're all plugging or wiring the strip into an external 110V outlet.  But- aren't those only powered if you are on shore power?  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    moorey000,  Yes, The light sets are powered with 110v/ 120 v power they use a transformer to reduce to 24v power.  The T@B battery power is 12v. As I understand the above post by Jananddave.  Not sure if anyone has found a set that are 12v powered.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Most of the LED strip cabinet lights I install are 12 volts and they work just fine off the battery without a transformer. 

The kit installed under our Keder rail is 24 volt though, and can only be used on shore power. 

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    morey000 said:
    I don't get it.  So- it sounds like you're all plugging or wiring the strip into an external 110V outlet.  But- aren't those only powered if you are on shore power?  
    Correct. It is possible to wire into the 12V system, if you have the skill, but the easiest way for us electrically challenged is to use the 110 power at a campsite. I don't ever camp without hookups, so that is fine for me. Don't need the lights on while going down the road.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @Michigan_Mike- We found that the adhesive that comes on the lighting tape was not adequate.  We ended up using construction adhesive... the kind they use to glue sub flooring to joists.  It is grey in color but we have a silver T@b so not an issue.  8,000 miles and lots of weather and it is not budging!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    @morey000, yes, my under keder lights do plug into the exterior 110/120 v outlet and are working only when we have shore power.
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    @morey000, yes, my under keder lights do plug into the exterior 110/120 v outlet and are working only when we have shore power.
    got it.  except when parked at home- I hope to never (or seldom) plug Trail T@rdis into a 110V AC outlet.  I see some adorable battery operated fairy lights that would look lovely for boondocking tho'. 
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite