Options

Towing vehicle advice

13»

Comments

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Verna.  Now you have me thinking of heading down to Ford dealer tomorrow.  Though my 2003 Tacoma 3.4  tows our Boondock around Florida fine, I think the hills and up will have me fretting.  We’re planning on heading cross country and hopefully cross continent to Alaska.  Gives me an excuse to get a new truck.  Then again, what man needs an excuse fo
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Hey, @GatorEgg, I have owned two perfect vehicles— 2004 GMC Canyon 5 cyl 4x4 pickup truck and a 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L 4x4 TRD pickup truck. I really miss the Canyon, (167,000 miles when seemingly planned obsolescence took her transmission after a bunch of small items), but the Tacoma was so much like her in handling and just getting into the driver’s seat. I’ll wait to see if the F-150 takes over as one of the top two👍  

So far it’s all good!  I took a day off today and didn't drive her. Almost did for some volunteering, but others already had the nasty work done. 

Those Rockies are a challenge. The Tacoma is not damaged, and it will make another flat lander happy to tow it around the eastern half and southern 1/3rd of the country. If the dealer’s used car import manager will give her up to sell!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    edited July 2019
    I just picked up a 2019 F150 yesterday.  I wanted white and I got white.  Fairly loaded for an XLT.  I haven't taken any real pictures of my truck, but I have the Ford web photos posted on my website at http://www.klenger.net/f150.html

@Verna Looks like yours has the same Sport package as mine.  I opted for the SuperCrew cab to get as much interior space as possible since I expect to keep the bed open.

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Verna said:
    Hey, @GatorEgg, I have owned two perfect vehicles— 2004 GMC Canyon 5 cyl 4x4 pickup truck and a 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L 4x4 TRD pickup truck. I really miss the Canyon, (167,000 miles when seemingly planned obsolescence took her transmission after a bunch of small items), but the Tacoma was so much like her in handling and just getting into the driver’s seat. I’ll wait to see if the F-150 takes over as one of the top two👍  

So far it’s all good!  I took a day off today and didn't drive her. Almost did for some volunteering, but others already had the nasty work done. 

Those Rockies are a challenge. The Tacoma is not damaged, and it will make another flat lander happy to tow it around the eastern half and southern 1/3rd of the country. If the dealer’s used car import manager will give her up to sell!
    I also went from a midsize to a full-size pickup. I find the midsize trucks are more fun to drive in town, but these full size trucks are kings of the highway, especially when towing. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    @klenger, the SuperCrew wasn’t important to me this time.

The ARB fits on the floor and I can put some boxes on the floor that can be easily removed if I take both Great Nephews camping. I look forward to not keeping as much in the cab. The shell will be weather proof to keep my camping gear dry in the truck bed. Maybe I’ll finally take a scrollsaw to AZ for the winter !
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @rkj__ I drove full size vans daily for the phone company in cities for over 20 years, along with a year of driving a 16 passenger handicap bus in cities and the F-150’s size isn’t bothering me. (Thankfully!).

I do like being back up high so I can see farther in the traffic.

While the F-150 is about the same length as the Tacoma was, I don’t have a complete feel for the width in a parking lot yet, but I always park in the back 40 anyway. 

The temps  are supposed to be lower today so maybe I can degrease my two drawbars to see which is going to be the correct drop for the 400. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    Great TV choice. It checks all of the boxes. It has lot's of horsepower and towing capacity but it gets really good gas mileage. It's rear wheel drive but has available 4 wheel drive if you need it. There is a ton of ground clearance and it will tow just about anything that you can hitch up with ease. Service is available everywhere from Key West to Anchorage and all points between. 
    Tacoma beds are available as either 5 or 6 foot.
  • Options
    There is a wonderful Toyota Dealer in Warrenton, Oregon. Not only did they squeeze me in for a regularly scheduled oiled change and tire rotation, they found a rodent nest, cleaned it out and washed my filthy truck! They went out of their way to be as good as my home dealer!  The name is Lum’s Auto Center.  

Surprise Toyota in Surprise, Arizona is good also. 

I’m hoping the Ford dealers around the country treat me as well as the Toyota dealers do for service as I need it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN