Options

Towing vehicle advice

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
  • Options
    DaveandthedogDaveandthedog Member Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  @Sharon_is_SAM, thanks for the link as well.  
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Hello all, BRAND NEW member here, so be gentle, this is my first time.  I am looking at the 400 Boondock.  Does anyone out there on the interweb tow a 400 with a Jeep JL Unlimited with factory tow package?  
    Ive read a ton of opinions and recommendations in regards to the ability or lack of ability or you can “if”.  What I haven’t seen or heard is real world application.  So, anyone? Anyone?  Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.

If the weight rating others looked up is correct, your tongue weight limit is probably 350. For a T@b 400, you’d be over on weight by anywhere from 75-100 pounds before you loaded a single thing into the rear of the Jeep or into the trailer. That’s a big NO.

A T@b 320 would be fine.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    VictoriaP said:
    Hello all, BRAND NEW member here, so be gentle, this is my first time.  I am looking at the 400 Boondock.  Does anyone out there on the interweb tow a 400 with a Jeep JL Unlimited with factory tow package?  
    Ive read a ton of opinions and recommendations in regards to the ability or lack of ability or you can “if”.  What I haven’t seen or heard is real world application.  So, anyone? Anyone?  Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.

If the weight rating others looked up is correct, your tongue weight limit is probably 350. For a T@b 400, you’d be over on weight by anywhere from 75-100 pounds before you loaded a single thing into the rear of the Jeep or into the trailer. That’s a big NO.

A T@b 320 would be fine.
    You’re right. I forgot about the massive tongue weight of the 400. That would make it a no-go for a JL. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    HomeyfogleHomeyfogle Member Posts: 4
    2019 Toyota 4Runner Limited Nighthawk edition tows our 320 with ease, provides  gargantuan cargo storage, and is a lot of fun when you get where you’re going and unhook. 

Jim & Mel
    T@B 320 S 2018 / 4Runner Nightshade 2019
    Parker, Colorado
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    If you do decide to go with a GMC midsize(Canyon, Colorado)  You might not want to tow with it.  Or at least keep an eye on the recalls for it.  I'm expecting a recall coming out to strengthen the frame.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/chevy-colorado-destroys-frame-while-towing.615725/
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    DaveandthedogDaveandthedog Member Posts: 3
    For anyone with a JL who may be looking for this same answer in the future, the answer is from Draw-tite.  They make what I call a sub Class III receiver for the JL.  It’s a sub because it doesn’t have the full capabilities that comes with a Class III.  It is limited to 4500lbs towing and 640lbs tongue weight.  
    This is keeping within the capabilities of the frame and suspension that the JLs have.  Of course you need to have the factory towing package which includes electrical, anti trailer sway, and additional cooling and to pay close attention to your GVWR numbers.
    My plan is to keep my towing to 4,000 or less and a hitch weight of no more than 450 (based on the RV options I’m looking at), and to use a weight distribution and anti-sway system.

Bottom line is that Wrangler JLs CAN safely pull a Tab 400 with the Draw-tite receiver.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    GatorEgg said:
    If you do decide to go with a GMC midsize(Canyon, Colorado)  You might not want to tow with it.  Or at least keep an eye on the recalls for it.  I'm expecting a recall coming out to strengthen the frame.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/chevy-colorado-destroys-frame-while-towing.615725/
    Should we disregard the literal thousands of reports of Colorado owners successfully towing 5,000+ Lb trailers across the continent?  

I also saw a Ford catch on fire. And a Jeep. And, well, if you disregard every brand that has some quality issues in its history, well, you will be walking, barefoot. 

I’d be curious to know a little more about the history of the pictured truck though.

With things like this, you don’t always get the full, unbiased story on the internet. 

It’s also a good reminder to consider the possible warranty implications of modifying your new vehicle as well.  
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    GatorEgg said:

This Incomplete Story has been making the internet world rounds.

Later posting by the original person state the Truck was being used in a way not intended by GMC.  In fact many Ford Raptor Trucks has failed the same way.  Driving way too fast for conditions and Jumping the truck . . . . . factory equipped truck are not Baha Dirt Road Racers even if the ads imply otherwise.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    All vehicles, .... things have their faults.  I should have phrased/added - Just be aware of the ones you have.  Toyota Tacomas are known for terrible rusting frames.  So bad, Toyota extended their frame inspection/ replacement program out for 15 years.  But I've driven them across many countries so it's my vehicle.  But if I lived in a snowbelt state, I'd be is something different.  And I keep a watch on it.  When looking at a replacement I definitely don't rely on the dealer or salesmans advice.  Just decide what's really important to you and do your research. 
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ahhh, the research can take weeks!  It also matters how often you use your vehicle as a tow vehicle.

In my case, I full time, so as that mpg gets closer to 10, it really matters.  A trip across new mountain ranges give new results, more questions, more research.

I made my decision, after hours of reading, research, talking to friends and family, re-reading these discussions on this forum. The test drive felt wonderful yesterday. 

The reveal is later this week.......the result may surprise you.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    edited July 2019
    @GatorEgg  I have a Colorado (2016)  with the factory enhanced tow package and Z71 .. it's capable of towing > 7000 lbs so a 320 or 400 is well within its capabilities..

I have a 320S Boondock Edge and while I wish I had a bit better gas mileage when towning, I've towed it a few thousand miles already and it's been one of the most pleasant towing experiences I've had.. zero "sway" and the brakes do a wonderful job.. I have zero reservations about the Colorado

There was a recall regarding towing hitch stuff but my vehicle was not on the list.. I think that was for ones that did not have the enhanced towing package.

EDIT: if anyone wants to gift me a Ford F150 Raptor, I won't say no... just sayin... otherwise love my Colorado
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited July 2019
    If you read the entire Chevy Colorado thread on that forum you'll get to this video post which shows why it COULD happen due to a combination of excessive weight, speed, bad luck bumps, and an inherent design flaw: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-oH2961TZ8

Physics, pure physics. Don't try to "bend" the rules. :)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072

I think that was for ones that did not have the enhanced towing package
    What is this, “enhanced towing package” you speak for?
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    If you read the entire Chevy Colorado thread on that forum you'll get to this video post which shows why it COULD happen due to a combination of excessive weight, speed, bad luck bumps, and an inherent design flaw: 

Physics, pure physics. Don't try to "bend" the rules. :)
    I would add to the excessive weight excessive modifications.  All those performance mods (increased suspension travel, bigger wheels and tires, etc) puts much more stress on the vehicle.  You will wear out U-joint and brakes much faster and with all that weight coming done on the axle he could have broken that too.  So with that trailer fully loaded, all the other "stuff" on this truck, I bet he was way over recommendations for that truck.  I wouldn't say it is a design flaw, but a design limitation of a smaller truck.  Always trying to balance weight and performance.

This guy needs more truck.  I have a 2018 F-150 and I tow a T@B 400 BDL.  I shopped around pretty hard because I didn't want to have to pay for lots of the things they add that cost too much.  So mine is an XLT with the 2.7L Ecoboost engine with the base XLT package.  It also has 4WD with the locking rear differential and the tow package. No other options.  I can tow through the hills very easily (I live in Oregon) but with that ecoboost engine I can get quite a bit more power out of it if I decided to (electronic tuning of turbo boost, shift points, fuel mappings, etc).

I guess my point here is don't skimp on your TV.  I would not want to be running close to the design limitations of my TV.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    4ncar said:

I think that was for ones that did not have the enhanced towing package
    What is this, “enhanced towing package” you speak for?
    Chevy does not use the word "enhanced."  They just offer the towing package that includes:
    • Includes a 2" receiver hitch, 4-pin and 7-pin connectors
    • 7-wire electrical harness and 7-pin sealed connector for connecting your trailer's lights and brakes to your vehicle
    • 4-way sealed connector for use on trailers without brakes to hook up parking lamps, brake lamps and right and left turn signals
    • Automatic locking rear differential

I suppose you could consider the transmission's tow/haul mode, and the optional trailer brake controller as "enhancements."

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    rkj__ said:

Chevy does not use the word "enhanced."  They just offer the towing package that includes:
    • Includes a 2" receiver hitch, 4-pin and 7-pin connectors
    • 7-wire electrical harness and 7-pin sealed connector for connecting your trailer's lights and brakes to your vehicle
    • 4-way sealed connector for use on trailers without brakes to hook up parking lamps, brake lamps and right and left turn signals
    • Automatic locking rear differential

I suppose you could consider the transmission's tow/haul mode, and the optional trailer brake controller as "enhancements."

...all of which I have. I had never heard the terminology and was confused🤪
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Oh my a Toyota vs GM fight brewing.    

I am a GM man as most of my relation were employed in or as a result of GM.  I believe it does matter where the money ultimately lands....Here or Japan.    I understand loyalty doesn't count for much these days.

All of my American trucks have lasted 10 year and 150k plus each. 

To each his own.  I prefer to never having to second guess my tow vehicle.

What ever you decide, do the work.   Make sure the vehicle is well within manufacture specs with what you are hauling with you and trailer on the vehicle.

Take it to a truck scale and spend the $10 to make sure and then save it in case it ever comes to question.   

Someone posted a picture of a horribly over loaded wrangler.. it had kayaks bikes and the trailer looked stuffed to the gills and the wrangler had that broken spring looking squat.

If you find yourself looking up spec sheets and considering removing parts of the tow vehicle or trailer hit the paper spec on weight.......take a moment and think about that slippery road, long up hill, long down hill, windy bridge or the soccer mom texting and pulling out in front of you......

Can you stop, control or manuver that TV and trailer?
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Cbusguy said:
    Oh my a Toyota vs GM fight brewing.    

I remember the days it used to be Chevy / Ford arguing on a Friday night! 

Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Admin interjecting.....no arguments, please.

We all made our own tow vehicle choices and we all have to live up to the consequences of our purchases. Just because someone has a different make of a tow vehicle doesn’t make them wrong. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Now, for what I have been up to this week. I traded my Tacoma in on a 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab 3.5L V6 Ecoboost with a tow package. I’ve had it for a couple of days and I really like it. It is getting 18.6 mpg around town and I am delighted!

i asked for a red one with the options I wanted, and there was not one to be found. My second choice was the white one and it will be fine. I’ll ask the truck accessory place where I’m getting my fiberglass shell if they know anyone who can make up a matching red stripe like my 400 on the sides of the truck. We’ll see...maybe just simple red pinstripes will do.  

Top picture is the new and the old. 
    Second and third pictures are here in the campground I’m currently staying in. (It’s been very hot all week, but the Dometic Cool Cat has been keeping Sunny Day and I cool.) 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Nice! 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Verna, congrats. Whatever makes YOU happy!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    @Verna, is the truck bed smaller than the Tacoma?  Nice, you’ll have more behind the seat storage!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Nice upgrade Verna!

• Options
    @Verna, is the truck bed smaller than the Tacoma?  Nice, you’ll have more behind the seat storage!
    It’s significantly bigger on this F-150. It’s both longer, and wider. 
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Now, for what I have been up to this week. I traded my Tacoma in on a 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab 3.5L V6 Ecoboost with a tow package. I’ve had it for a couple of days and I really like it. It is getting 18.6 mpg around town and I am delighted!

i asked for a red one with the options I wanted, and there was not one to be found. My second choice was the white one and it will be fine. I’ll ask the truck accessory place where I’m getting my fiberglass shell if they know anyone who can make up a matching red stripe like my 400 on the sides of the truck. We’ll see...maybe just simple red pinstripes will do.  

Top picture is the new and the old. 
    Second and third pictures are here in the campground I’m currently staying in. (It’s been very hot all week, but the Dometic Cool Cat has been keeping Sunny Day and I cool.) 

That would definitely be my choice.  Even the color.  There's piles of shops out there to do a stripe or wrap.  Check the net.  The topper will also help with aerodynamics.  With a 320, I'll stick with my Tacoma......for now.
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    GatorEgg said:
    That would definitely be my choice.  Even the color.  There's piles of shops out there to do a stripe or wrap.  Check the net.  The topper will also help with aerodynamics.  With a 320, I'll stick with my Tacoma......for now.
    @GatorEgg, my Tacoma did well on the T@B S Max, from 13.5 regularly all the way up to 26 mpg (a fluke as I had a 25 mph tail wind).  But, as much as I loved driving the Tacoma, those Rockies showed me it was best to get a bit more umph. I just couldn’t justify 9 and 10 mpg. I know I never pushed the Tacoma on this last trip, nor any other, so it’s still in great shape.  It will make someone be a good tow vehicle. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    The Tacoma has a 5’x5’ bed, and the F-150 has a 6 1/2’ long bed by I think 6’ wide. It’s not that I will carry anything else with me, it’s the fact that I will be able to organize and get to everything easier. 

The shell that I ordered has side windows on gas struts that raise to allow me to get to stuff at the front or middle of the bed. In other words, I don’t have to empty the truck to get to what is at the front. I can also work on the drawer type truck bed organizer that I’ve wanted for some time. 

The back seat seat is actually smaller front to back than the Tacoma as I opted to not have the full size rear doors. The ARB barely fits on the floor in width, but there is more width across the truck, plus more height. The seats fold up against the rear wall, so I do lose some space because of them, but I need to keep the 20 part of the seat vacant for the 2nd oldest great nephew. The oldest can now sit in the front seat. 

I have to take it to Ziebart this coming week for the bed lining and I’m stuck in that I can’t put any more than a cooler in the truck bed (on a rubber door mat to keep it from sliding), nor can I keep anything inside until the work is done. 

Patience, Verna, as my Mother used to say😉
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sounds like a winner, Verna!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio