Options

Will I need extension side view mirrors for my Outback?

vitovito Member Posts: 181
My T@b is ordered and now I am just waiting the 6 weeks or so it will take before I have my new S-Max, and I realize I don't know how wide the trailer is. I will be towing with a Subaru Outback and wonder if I will need some type of extended mirrors for the Outback so as to have rear view vision when towing the T@b. And advice?
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    When I first got my T@B I was towing with a Subaru Imprezza Outback.  I found that you could see down the sides of the trailer OK without extension mirrors, but you couldn't see if anyone was tailgating the trailer.  I now have a Dodge Journey TV, but like to use extensions to see what is directly behind.  Camping world has a number of different types, but I like the suction cup type mounted ones.  (There is one type for driver and one type for passenger side mirrors.  The advantage of this type is that you can adjust them with your regular mirror adjustment switch.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I find I can do a little slight-side to-side wave and see what's back there so have never bought mirror extenders. Usually you can see their shadow so you know someone's there and if curious as to who/what, do the wave.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    The T@B is 76" wide. As is my Toyota 4Runner. We have  towed our Outback as PXLATED says without problems.
    I know Yellowstone National Park requires you to remove mirror extensions so you don't wipe out bicyclers. So I don't care for them.

• Options
    Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
    Vito, I have the same question--I mean exactly the same question. We also have an S-M@X on order and our TV is a 2012 Outback. I'm leaning toward towing without the mirrors first, and then decide if there's an issue. Post your decision, and the make of mirrors you end up with if you go that route. 
    Thanks!
    Doug
    Des Moines Iowa
    2016 S Max Sofitel
  • Options
    meklofmeklof Member Posts: 14
    We tow our T@B with a Subaru Forester and have found that the extend mirrors to be very useful on more than one occasion. It is always helpful to know what is going on around you. Not just in front, but have better visibility behind us so we can pull over and let cars pass which are following to closely on country roads. It makes for a more relaxing drive.
    Michael & Claudia T@B -Q 2006 
    San Rafael, CA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2015
    I'm really glad to have extensions on our Tacoma. We set the regular mirrors to cover the blind spot better, and use the extensions to see back.

I depend on them a lot on the highway - very helpful.

We bought the 'universal' type at etrailer, and they work well, once they're fitted right.

Linked here

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BentrBentr Member Posts: 58
    I towed our T@B with our Forester for the first time this past week so I'm no expert. The first day I found the difficulty seeing the back of the trailer challenging and fully intended to buy extension mirrors at the next opportunity. But we never ended up stopping at any sort of RV store and by the end of the third day of driving I found I'd gotten used to the idea of just leaving a lot of more space when changing lanes than I would have if I could "see". This worked fine on the open highway and also ended up fine, somewhat surprisingly, in the heavy Seattle traffic at the end. I used PXLated's 'waggle' trick a few times to see who was behind me but mostly I guess just didn't worry about it. Might still buy the extensions at some point but no longer seems like a necessity. 
    Ben Trelease & Eleanor Bell - Seattle, WA - 2009 T@B Bell@luna TV Subaru Forester
  • Options
    I "waggled" several times today - worked fine.
    The only time I couldn't ell who was back there was when a cop tailgates me really close. Didn't know it was a cop until he passed - This was at night on a remote two-lane in New Mexico.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I'm towing with a Forester and would advocate for the mirrors.  I like being a bit more aware of who is around me and while I could waggle, I'm more comfortable with a slightly wider view of my surroundings.  They've come in handy a couple of times.  Not generally needed, but on those occasions when I  was glad I had them, I was really glad I had them.   

Not a big deal to add to the mirrors (and I spent $30, for mine).  The rare time when they've come in handy was worth it to me.  
  • Options
    I think it depends somewhat on how wide your TV is - My Jeep is almost exactly the same width as the T@B so it doesn't take much of a "waggle" to see what/who's back there.
  • Options
    My Outback, mirror tip to mirror tip is right about the same width as the T@b. If extension mirrors are able to be put on and taken off easily I probably will buy a set, but if installation is a more permanent thing with drilling holes, etc., I just might try things out without the extensions. If the cost is low and the installation easy it seems a small effort to ensure better visibility to the rear. Thanks for all the input. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    stanmstanm Member Posts: 49
    Been towing my T@B with my 2013 Outback for almost two years now. No extensions and no desire to get them. I have never had a problem seeing who was around me.

Enjoy...
    Stan & Kitty - Seattle - 2014 T@B Q, Silver & Orange, 2013 Outback
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Member Posts: 20
    So having just driven from Maryland to Washington State on a lot of highways I found the these mirrors to be great.
    Pulling out in to a faster moving lane is so much easier especially if Semi Trucks are planning the same thing.
    JR Products 2912 Grand Aero Towing Mirror - Pair they cost around $85 and are easy to take off and on. I think if your doing short trips then maybe there not needed but I love them.
  • Options
    This is probably one of those issues that - after having towed the T@B for a bit - if you think you need them, then you need them. If for no other reason than peace of mind.
    There's no right or wrong.
  • Options
    Thanks SusanB for showing the Grand Aero mirrors. I just ordered a set from Amazon, but it was a bit more pricey than $85 (It was $111.00). The more I thought about it the more I remembered how much it bothers me when I have obstructed rear vision due to filling up the back of my Outback, so I realized that not seeing the sides of my T@b or a bit behind it would really make me uneasy on long trips. The reviews of this mirror on Amazon were very impressive and stressed how they go on and off in just seconds, which is just what I want. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    This is an old thread but I thought it worth updating if there are others out there. I bought extension mirrors on Amazon (Millenco is the brand name on the bag). They are very easy to attach to the car's mirrors, but do take a bit of effort to get positioned correctly. I find them invaluable in helping me see behind the T@b more easily than is possible with the mirrors on my Subaru Outback. They were not cheap, about $90 if I recall, but well worth it. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    Wether you need them probably depends somewhat on the width of your TV compared to the T@B - My Wrangler is almost the same width fender to fender so I don't really need them. I can do a very slight side to side wave and see what if anything is there. About the only thing I care about is a cop with lights flashing :-)
  • Options
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I tried three sets before I found ones that I really like and really work.  They slip over the truck mirrors and look almost like they came with it.  I like them so much I never take them off.  It's amazing how much more comforting it is to be able to "almost" see behind the trailer.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    With my Jetta TV its very narrow so I can't see at all behind. While I've not had the inclination to get wider mirrors, the shadow trick really works!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    I used extension mirrors when I was towing a larger trailer with a full size truck. They worked great until they fell off! After the second one went bye bye, I gave up! I have no problems seeing around the T@B with the stock Outback mirrors.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Yep, there's PXL, waggin' down the highway.

If too many of us follow your recommendation, you'll get us Tab tow-ers a pretty strange reputation.

PXLated said:
    Wether you need them probably depends somewhat on the width of your TV compared to the T@B - My Wrangler is almost the same width fender to fender so I don't really need them. I can do a very slight side to side wave and see what if anything is there. About the only thing I care about is a cop with lights flashing :-
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW - I rarely wag though because I just don't care if someone's behind me - That's their problem - unless it's a cop but what's he/she gonna get me for, certainly not speeding :-)
  • Options
    And it just might be better not to wag in the case of the cop behind you...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I had a car following me for miles tailgating - extreme tailgating - in remote New Mexico. He was so close even a wag didn't reveal much - was at night though. Turned out to be a sheriff. He passed and went on his merry way.
  • Options
    There are times when a lane change is needed, i.e., an emergency vehicle stopped in the shoulder so I would want to move into the left lane, and knowing what is right behind me can be critical. It could be disastrous if you start to move left just as the vehicle you did not see behind you also accelerates into the left lane. Just to have the security of better rear vision makes it worthwhile to me to put on the extra mirrors. It only takes a minute to attach and a few minutes to get properly lined up, then I'm off. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    Possibly but I've been in that there and no problem unless they're right on my tail. The minute I start the change, they're visible. Wether you can see them ahead of time or not you're in the same situation.
    But like I've mentioned, your need probably depends on the width of your TV - narrower you TV, the bigger blind spot you have.